Reorder fields in datasheet view in a form.

alfranco17

Board Regular
Hi.

I am using a form to display data from a query in datasheet view. There is one field that stubbornly refuses to stay where I want it after I close the form and reload it, and keeps moving all the way to the right.

* I have tried changing the data source to have the SELECT statement bring fields in the right order.

* I have rearranged the fields in View mode. I save the form, go to Design Mode, and when I go back to View, the field has moved all the way to the right again.

* I have rearranged the order of the fields in design view.

What am I missing? In the past, I have remade the form from a blank form dragging one field at a time, but I think there must be a better way.

Thanks for your help!

Armando.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I would just order them the want I want in the Query, and then create the Form based on the Query.
It may be a pain, but it is usually the surest way to get it to work the way you want. It may seem like it will take longer, but if you spend hours trying to "fix" what you currently have, then it really isn't.

Upvote 0
One other thing that you can try is in design view select the form selection and go to the control source.

hit the elipse ... and go into the forms query editor and re arrange the query their and save it.

good luck.

Upvote 0
@Alan13,

The tab index is to control which fields get access in order when you hit the tab key.

IE select the field for first name (tab index 1) and then hit tab it moves to last name (tab index 2)

rather than hitting tab and it goes to the next created text field which may be somewhere not where you expect it to go.

Upvote 0
I save the form, go to Design Mode and do what?
I have rearranged the fields in View mode Which mode is that? AFAIK, there are form, datasheet, layout and design views, but no "view mode" per se.

If you drag the fields to where you want them in datasheet view then close the form, it should remain that way next time you open it. Works that way for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaseremad

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back