Remove Characters from Access Field

kparadise

Board Regular
I have a field on a form which is a drop down field linked to a reference table. Only one item can be selected, and the field is a CONCATE of four different columns:

RootCause: [tblRefRootCause]![Ref No] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 1] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 2] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 3]

When I pull this field into a query and reports, it works great. However, what I am trying to do is remove the first 5 characters of this CONCATE field. I am trying to use MID, and LEN formulas I found on the internet, but I am getting FUNC! errors..

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
To remove the first 5 characters all you should need is Mid.

RootCause: Mid([tblRefRootCause]![Ref No] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 1] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 2] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 3],6)

or

Mid(RootCause,6)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, using the Mid(RootCause, 6) leaves my with blanks (no results).

I want the first 5 characters to be utilized in the drop down menu (used for referencing), but when I put that field on the report, I do not need those first 5. So, using your first option will not work.

Upvote 0
Sorry I don't follow, what's the connection between the dropdown, the report and the field?

Upvote 0
So my reference table is tblRefRootCause:

Ref No
Root Cause Level 1
Root Cause Level 2
Root Cause Level 3
1a
People
Staffing
Training
1b
People
Staffing
Resources
2a
System
Technology
Not Updated

<tbody>
</tbody>

My Form has a drop down list connected to this table. SELECT tblRefRootCause.[Ref No], [tblRefRootCause]![Ref No] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 1] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 2] & " | " & [tblRefRootCause]![Root Cause Level 3] AS RootCause FROM tblRefRootCause ORDER BY tblRefRootCause.[Ref No];

This form Saves to my tbl_ISSUES. [tbl_ISSUES].[Root Cause]. This is the field I pull into my query and report.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pnkundalia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back