Relationships

Lyda_Faye

I have completed the changes to an application now I want to import the good data from the production tables into the tables that are used in the updated application. I know how to do this via file, get external data, import but my problem is that when the new table comes in, it is named "Table1" and the original table is "Table". Then I try to delete "Table" but because "Table" has a relationship associated with it, I cannot delete it (I get a message stating this). When I rename "Table" as "Tablex" the table in the relationship also also gets renamed "Tablex". I don't want to have to re-create the relationships for that table (There are a lot)
FINALLY, THE QUESTION IS: How can I name "Table1" to the name "Table" without affecting the relationship name?

Your prompt reply is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Why don't you clear the records from Table and use the option to import into an existing table ?

Upvote 0
Option to import data into an existing table

Please tell me where that option is. I do not see it in Access 2000.

Upvote 0
Does the destination table in the new app have any data in it? Can you use an Append Query to pull the information in?

Upvote 0
Access - Importing to pre-populated tables

Yes it already has data in it. I was thinking about writing code to delete all the records first then create a macro to import the new tables. Do you think this is the way to do it?

Upvote 0
Lyda,

I'm not any sort of expert, just someone whose work life used to depend on SPSS and ACCESS db's. :P

Anyway, sure you could write a macro to perform the data transfer. I, personally, would probably not leave such an important task to potentially bad code, but that is just this woman's paranoid opinion. But I was answering your first question on how to move the data without needing to recreate established relationships. Just write the append query (even though you're not appending anything) to move the data to the new table.

Good luck - Janie

Upvote 0
Import Table into relationships

Try deleting the one called "Table" first, then import the new data as "Table". It should assume all the relationships that "Table" currently has. I do this all the time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sukhman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back