Related to Startup Menu question

Royal Presence

Board Regular
I would like to know if it's possible if I can put into a MS Access db for the main menu page, not switchboard a

menu such as the one in http://www.ashlandmass.com/

When I was doing this website, I used Selteco Menu Maker which made it very easy to institute. The format is very user friendly and I would like to know if it can be incorporated into an Access db as part of the main startup menu. Obviously I am no coder, but can implement basic changes, etc.

Currently, the start up has hyperlinks and/or command buttons (not sure which way to go), but would like a simple five category rollover drop down like in this website. Any ideas?

Thank you very much

Paula

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I think you should peek at some of the built-in VBA help on Startup.
When you go into Tools-Startup - the pull-down menu allows you to select any form (or [Data Access] Page) available within the database.

A lot of people buid custom switchboards instead of the default one to gain additional capabilities - for example, hiding inactive form windows as you navigate.

Yes, it should be possible to use an external form, but the level of complexity goes up. You'd essentially be writing a VB (or other programming language) application that opens up a connection to the Access database to work with it.

My opinion is, depending on programming skills, you're probably better of sticking inside Access AND rebuilding whatever you already have as an Access Form. I would only use an external program if the program needed other capabilities, such as complete standalone application that doesn't require a Full Access OR Access Runtime installation.

Mike

Upvote 0
Hi and thanks.

No, we do not need a standalone application. I just wanted something that was really user friendly. I don't like the list box types that can be used, but have to be hard clicked.

I guess what I wanted was some soft hover drop downs and then perhaps such as in Front Page, I can tell something to open up in a new window. Basically, I guess I want an interface that has web-like features.

Not great with vb but can learn if I have an example. Does anyone know of any examples in use now that might contain some of these things?

Thanks, have a good night.

Upvote 0
I'm not clear what a 'soft hover drop down' is but I can guess by the name.
Any activeX control available in another MS application should be possible to get into Access...trick is, sometimes you're discover that Access sorta has an azz-backwards implementation of features. VBA is really a subset of VB - you can do nearly everything in VBA as in VB, almost. Same with Access SQL (subqueries with multiple records returns anybody?)

Load up a Form and hit the 'more' icon in the Toolbox. Look for your soft hover controls.

If you can't find that, there are mouseover events for most controls which might allow you to programmatically duplicate features.

Mike

Upvote 0
Thanks, I think this is what I am looking for. I'll delve into how to make an active x thing work. Why be idle?

Thanks again. If anyone has made these let me know how they work over time and usage.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PedroMoss2268

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back