Refresh errors after normalizing flat files coming from a folder in Power BI

chriscorpion786

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,
I am using the folder option to append multiple files coming from a folder. In Power Query, I have normalized the tables into fact and dimension tables. The problem is when I refresh the queries from Power BI Desktop, I get multiple errors as in the screen shot. I am not sure why these errors occur, if I go to Power Query editor and refresh there and then come back into Power BI Desktop the refresh works.
Any one faced such a problem and if any one has the solution, would appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Refresh errors.jpg
    Refresh errors.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Go into file, options and settings, options. There are 2 settings for privacy settings, one under global and one under the current workbook. Change the current workbook to “ignore” at a minimum. There is some small risk of exposing confidential data to the web under unlikely conditions that I have never seen in my 10+ years working with PQ, but personally I wouldn’t worry about it and just make this change.

Upvote 0
Solution
Go into file, options and settings, options. There are 2 settings for privacy settings, one under global and one under the current workbook. Change the current workbook to “ignore” at a minimum. There is some small risk of exposing confidential data to the web under unlikely conditions that I have never seen in my 10+ years working with PQ, but personally I wouldn’t worry about it and just make this change.
Thanks Matt, I have tried it on my other Power BI file where I was having the same issue and it worked. I wonder what does the privacy settings have to do with combining files and the normalization procedure, but it is working. I will try the same on my other Power BI file later in evening and will let you know if that too is solved in the same way....

Upvote 0
Glad to say Matt, the other file also worked. Amazing...I had sleepless nights trying to find a solution.
What is the idea behind it, could you explain please...
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekerinik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back