Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hi all.

I downloaded a report from a company with this version
1721331901510.png

and I added another 3 sheets, then tried to save it. It gave me the message bellow;

1721331818189.png

Not really looking at the content of message, I clicked OK and then exited out the file when asked if save changes, I clicked on SAVE and then noticed the poncher; only one sheet was saved and all other literaly disapeared! I worked hours & hours on this, I wish I can recover them! Looking forwardfor advise. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
That is a bit misleading, as Excel and CSV file are two very different things. You can use Excel to open a CSV file, but it will do its own automated conversions on it.
A CSV file is absolutely NOT a Spreadsheet! It is a Text file.
Like every other Text, it is a "flat" file, meaning it is only one page. You cannot have multiples pages in a CSV file!

If you are working on a file in Excel that has multiple sheets, when you save it, you MUST select an Excel option if you want to maintain your multiple pages.
If you choose to save to a CSV, you will only save the sheet that you are on.

That is what the warning message was telling you. Whenever you get them when trying to save a file, you should read them very carefully so as not to lose any data.

Upvote 0
Right, and thank you!. So I guess no recovery?

Upvote 0
and I added another 3 sheets, then tried to save it. It gave me the message bellow;

After you added the other three sheets, you can do a File 'Save-A's to save it to a standard spreadsheet file (.xlsx) unless there is a reason to keep it as a .csv file?

Upvote 0
No reason. Going forward, I will know already. My question was if by now there's still anything to do? otherwise, I'll start from scratch.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sukhman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back