recordset is non updateable

tails

Board Regular
How come my form wont allow me to update it. i have many tables and queries and i have set it up for dataentry, but it wont allow me to enter data into it... does anyone know how to fix this. i have to get this done ASAP and your help would be greately appreciated.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
If the recordset is too complex -- esp. if it is based on many-to-many links -- you may find it isn't updateable.
Not sure without seeing the layout, but a re-design of the query will probably be required.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks for that but i dont actually have a query set up to that particular form, just 2 tables with a relationship of the 'employee number' field. Should i use sub forms instead of using the main form for all the data?

Upvote 0
Access is fussy about which field you choose, if you want the recordset to be updateable.
You'll need to have the primary key of the main table in the query list, even if you don't display it in the form. Also, say you picked [Employee No] from Table 1. Try picking it from Table 2 instead.
(A bit of hand-waving, without seeing the dataset -- but you'll see what I mean :biggrin: )

Note: By "Main Table", I mean the table that has the majority of fields -- usually the one the form is named after. To be updateable, the fields on the layout need to come from this table where you have a choice. Only pull in related fields that don't appear in the main table.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks man that helped heaps. You truely are unbelievable. I dont know how you know so much about access, but as long as you keep the info comming my way i'm happy. thanks a heap. :pray:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back