Record Locking in Access Database

silv0920

Hi,
I have an access database that I cannot open because of record-locking. I am the only one using this database. I've shut down and rebooted and it still doesn't work. It won't let me delete the access database. My folder shows 2 databases with the same name but one of them shows it as Microsoft Office Access Record Locking Information and the size is only 1KB. Do you know how this can be unlocked? I can't open or delete any of the 2 databases shown in my folder.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
You should be able to open the 'locking' database using Notepad and it will show you the names of the computers that have had the database open. I believe that names may not always get removed when a computer closes the database, so it is only a guide.
Open Notepad and use file/open to open the locking file (e.g. .laccdb). Note that you can usually right-mouse click the .laccdb file and select "Open with" but you have to be very careful to prevent Notepad becoming the default program to open .laccdb files! (You MUST uncheck the "Always use...." option when using "Open With...").
In Notepad you should be able to see the computer names.

Upvote 0
Just a note: many folks just close the db and delete the locking file. That will also work if no one else is in the DB. Normally the locking file is deleted by Access during normal shutdown when no one else is in the database.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssmith04

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back