Recommended RAM for Excel in Windows 2000

John P

Board Regular
I am trying to build a case for more RAM in my work laptop since we run Windows 2000 and my company sticks with the minimum 256 MB. I find that when I run match/indexes with more than 40,000 records, the machine drags for 20 minutes or so...I am running 650 Mhz with only 1.3MB of space left on a 6GB drive, but the same thing happens at home with 1.2 GHz and plenty of drive space. The similar factors are the RAM. Can someone please provide me with some hard facts, articles, etc.. that I should be running at least 512 MB RAM for power Excel processing, especially since I usually have 4-5 other applications open (Outlook, BRIO, Mainframe sessions, etc..). Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I am trying to build a case for more RAM in my work laptop since we run Windows 2000 and my company sticks with the minimum 256 MB.
>> 256 is fine on NT OP Platforms but 512 is better NT technologies will love you for the extra memory, but all laptops are 128 standard, now more are 256 I add, as off the shelf sales. We up them of cause.

I find that when I run match/indexes with more than 40,000 records, the machine drags for 20 minutes
>>> This is not so good and I guess not just memory related, the NT cashe and memory allocations are very good if the run is ment to take that lot fine, but you say drags???

or so...I am running 650 Mhz
>>> OK PIII or same with what 1.3MB left available on HDD>>>>

with only 1.3MB of space left on a 6GB drive,
>>> Thjis is not ggod and must be address, you need to clean out that system and it will stop soon as windows expands in normal fashion, not good.

but the same thing happens at home with 1.2 GHz and plenty of drive space.
>>> OK that a bit better but take head of my comments re the laptop still.]

The similar factors are the RAM.
>>> Can I kindly as how do you know this to be the fact?

Can someone please provide me with some hard facts, articles, etc.. that I should be running at least 512 MB RAM for power Excel processing, especially since I usually have 4-5 other applications open (Outlook, BRIO, Mainframe sessions, etc..). Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
>>>> No 512 you will find is max in all bar very few the new Sony Vaio mini tak has 1gb memory on Xp Windows blar blar.

512 will be fine and run NT5 fully OK, the addition will benefit, but you have 256 that’s just fine I see no issues here on the memory front.

FIX

OK you run heavy processing Laptop will take longer just how they are in test like for like specs with Desktop. 4-5 other sessions in windows s what windows is designed to do, and NT5 should reallocate cashe and memory resources if things get tight. XP you cant really crash, erm I can. NT 5 is not so good but same rules apply in general.

OK the mainframe connection will reduce the total system performance as its hard going sending and receiving data, even if not in flow at the time the posts and systems supporting this connection must be supported so they will consume. It ment to work this way. Outlook, if real outlook not express, its big fat and baggy, yuck!!! And will consume a bit more but NT as I said will re allocate if needs be as that session is dormant for a bit. BRIO, same dig.

650 chip is fine I run as I have now for year a Sony Vaio 800htz, 128memory, 15gb hdd dvd blar lar and no issues, on FULL XP I add.

Solution

Sort the space issues tidy the junk and there will be some and archive what you can on the network, reload windows NT5 I would reload at least ever 6 week MAX, and any OP for that reason, I’m sure your notice a difference.

And look at why the processing is taking so long, you have not explained the deal here maybe you can.

Jack

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back