Really don't understand how to post

larnels

Hi to every one,

I have just joined this forum (1st I have ever needed). But I have been helped greatly by other Excel vba forums and especially MrExcel in the past. I have read the decorum expected from members and fully understand them. And I read the “how to post” section of the forum, but it didn’t seem to help me very much. My problem is I need to send a question that has a sub procedure. You seem to need me to use bbcode (which I have never heard of) or html maker, which doesn't seem to be available any more. If I try to send a copy of the vba code, or a copy from MS Word (with indentations and all) in the “Test Here” section, the code is there but the indentations are not, which makes even a simple procedure hard to read. As you can see I know nothing about posting. This thread is probably even in the wrong place. Oh well, you always have to learn, even at 76 years old.

Please help and, more importantly, please understand I have never ever tired to use a forum before.
Thank You All for any help you can give.
larnels

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Larnels

You need to include your code within code tags.

Without code tags:
Public Sub Demo()
With Application
.ScreenUpdating = False
.EnableEvents = False
.Calculation = xlManual
.DisplayAlerts = False
End With
ActiveSheet.Delete
With Application
.DisplayAlerts = True
.Calculation = xlAutomatic
.EnableEvents = True
.ScreenUpdating = True
End With
End Sub

This is how you should enter it:
[code=rich]
Public Sub Demo()
With Application
****.ScreenUpdating = False
****.EnableEvents = False
****.Calculation = xlManual
****.DisplayAlerts = False
End With
ActiveSheet.Delete
With Application
****.DisplayAlerts = True
****.Calculation = xlAutomatic
****.EnableEvents = True
****.ScreenUpdating = True
End With
End Sub
[/code]
I have used *'s to signify the spaces / indentation. Don't deliberately include the *'s.

If you use code tags then it will appear so:
Rich (BB code):
Public Sub Demo()
With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = False
    .EnableEvents = False
    .Calculation = xlManual
    .DisplayAlerts = False
End With
ActiveSheet.Delete
With Application
    .DisplayAlerts = True
    .Calculation = xlAutomatic
    .EnableEvents = True
    .ScreenUpdating = True
End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Jon,
Thank you for your very quick and concise response to my (now that I think about it) not very smart question. I have dabbled in basic, c, c++ and even a little assembly language, and they drove me nuts and I thought “bbcode, oh my gosh now I have to learn a new programming language just to be able to post a question”. Well, as you clearly point out, all I have to do is use "code" and "/code" in brackets. Even I can do that. Now I can post my Excel vba question (probably in the wrong place). Thanks again. Oh, and I have no idea why I included my email address in my question. Thanks for removing it.
larnels

...and I thought “bbcode, oh my gosh now I have to learn a new programming language just to be able to post a questions

LOL! Although it took me a very long time before I even noticed that people were using the code tags. You're up and running before your 1st question even, I probably asked a 100 before I discovered it.

Welcome to the board by the way, I meant to say that in my initial post. :)

Well, as you clearly point out, all I have to do is use "code" and "/code" in brackets.
We make it even easier than that for you so you don't need to type anything at all! When typing your post, simply highlight your code and click on the Code button in the editor. Its the icon that looks like a number sign (or pound sign).

Thanks so much Joe4,
You folks have really explained how to do this, so quickly. I guess my question really was about writing the code in Ms Word and then copying and pasting it into the "New Thread". Because I am so at new using a forum, such as "MrExcel" I prefer to write my question (with the code) in Word and then copy and paste into a "New Thread". But I will certainly try to learn your technique. Perhaps I might even be able to help someone someday on this forum.
larnels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBulinski1975

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back