Reading values from another worksheet with offset

vthokienj

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
On mainSheet, I want to row by row show the values on otherSheet, which have a few blank rows between each. Seems like it should be simple enough, but getting the correct formula into the green cells of column B on mainSheet is proving difficult. I've tried too many combinations of offset/indirect/address functions and just don't see how to simply point to a starting cell and then increment the appropriate number of rows. Thanks for any help in defeating my arch nemesis, the offset function.
mainSheet.png
otherSheet.png

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Does your image faithfully show what your data looks like? Does the data start in row 1? Is the number of blank rows between values always 2 rows?

I wouldn't use OFFSET for this because it's volatile, and doesn't give a particular advantage in this case. Put this in B2 and copy down:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(otherSheet!$A:$A,(ROW()-2)*3+1)

$scratch.xlsm
AB
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=INDEX($A:$A,(ROW()-2)*3+1)

Upvote 0
Solution
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Does your image faithfully show what your data looks like? Does the data start in row 1? Is the number of blank rows between values always 2 rows?

I wouldn't use OFFSET for this because it's volatile, and doesn't give a particular advantage in this case. Put this in B2 and copy down:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(otherSheet!$A:$A,(ROW()-2)*3+1)

$scratch.xlsm
AB
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=INDEX($A:$A,(ROW()-2)*3+1)
No is the answer to your questions, but from what you posted I could figure out how to modify and also now understand how this works. Much thanks for the quick response.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad I was able to offer something helpful.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back