Re-post

andersonbda

If my thread didn't get any replies, how do I make it jump to the top of the list again? I'm afraid that since no one replied on the first hour, it got buried and people aren't looking at it anymore.

If my thread didn't get any replies, how do I make it jump to the top of the list again? I'm afraid that since no one replied on the first hour, it got buried and people aren't looking at it anymore.

I wouldn't be too concerned after one hour. Many of the experienced helpers search 'Zero Reply Posts' where yours will appear. You can 'bump' your thread back to the top but not more than about once per day - refer to #12 of the Forum Rules and 5g and 7 of the Forum Use Guidelines. Remember that if you do 'bump' your thread, it will no longer show up in the Zero Reply Posts.

Many people are worried that if their thread falls of the first page, that people will not see it, so they “bump” it repeatedly. What they don’t realize is that this is usually counter-productive, and often actually reduces the chances that their thread is viewed and answered!

Why is this?

The biggest reason is because of the “Zero Reply Posts” menu selection (which appears in the middle of the top menu). This list shows all recent threads with zero replies. Many users use this list to look for unanswered questions. However, once a reply is made to a thread, it falls off of this list. So for those who use this list to look for unanswered questions, they will not see any "bumped" threads.

Combine that with the fact that this is an international forum with experts all over the world logging on at different times during the day, many experts may never see your question because it is no longer on “Zero Reply Posts” list, whereas if it were not “bumped”, it would still appear on that list and they may see it.

Another reason is that excessive bumping may make posters look impatient, demanding, or overanxious, which may turn off many potential helpers, thus decreasing your chances of getting a reply.

Our advice, as it applies to “bumping” your own threads is as follows:
- Wait a full 24 hours before bumping. This will allow experts all over the world to see it as an unanswered question. If posting on the weekend, you may want to wait even longer, since traffic is a lot lower on the weekends (many users do not log in on weekends)
- “Bump” your threads no more than once a day

If you find you are not getting responses, it may be because your question isn’t clear. You can respond back to your thread with clarifications. See the following two links for tips on posting complete and clear questions:
Guidelines for Forum Use
Help Us Help You

Also, please be aware of our rules referenced here: Forum Rules, especially as it pertains to re-posting your questions (rule #12) and posting the same question on other forums (rule #13).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kramb

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back