Re: Mac Purchase ?? Isabel802

mikerickson

MrExcel MVP

Your inbox is full, so I can't respond to your PM. So I'll post my reply here so that others can add their opinions about switching from Windows Excel to Mac.

There are several features of Windows Excel that aren't available to a Mac. Most noticeably, Mac will not support ActiveX controls. The file handling features of Mac VBA are flawed and I find it easier to use the MacScript function to access Applescript than to use Dir, etc.

If you plan to go to a pure Mac use, i.e use only files created on a Mac, I wouldn't recommend against it. If you are going to be use a variety of files, some created on Windows (by other people) and some created on Mac, I'd recommend a Windows platform.

One configuration, that I'm not familiar with, would be to use Excel 2010 on a Windows operating system on a Mac via Parallels. I don't know if that platform will support ActiveX, the Dictionary object or Windows API functions. (I suspect not ActiveX as Mac considers that a security risk).

You might post a thread asking for opinions to get a wide range of inputs.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.

Mac versions of Excel which support VBA (so excluding Excel 2008) should support class modules. If so, then if these Mac Excel versions don't support the Windows Scripting Runtime which contains the Dictionary object, you could roll your own Dictionary class. It only requires separate arrays for Items and Keys and a Long for Count as the private data members. You'd need a private lookup function into the Keys array to return the array index number. Maybe not for the newbie VBA programmer, but not unduly difficult.

One configuration, that I'm not familiar with, would be to use Excel 2010 on a Windows operating system on a Mac via Parallels. I don't know if that platform will support ActiveX, the Dictionary object or Windows API functions. (I suspect not ActiveX as Mac considers that a security risk).

Since it is running within Windows, all the Windows functionality is there so ActiveX, Dictionaries and API all work.

I couldn't agree more. In as much as Mac poses some of its advantages as well, there are just a lot of things that are different with Windows and chances are, like what happened to me, you are looking at installing a boot camp just so you could accommodate Winodws on your machine. And when that happens, you sort of defeats the purpose of going the fruity way in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back