Random Workday Between Two Dates

ExcelKnut

Board Regular
Hi,

I'm trying to generate a random work day between two dates. I tried using =WORKDAY(RANDBETWEEN([@FWDOM]-1,[@LWDOM]-1),1,Holidays) where FWDOM is the first work day of the month and LWDOM is the last work day of the month. Unfortunately, this formula gives me too many Mondays since a random Friday, Saturday or Sunday returns Monday.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Maybe ...

=WORKDAY("9/1/2013", RANDBETWEEN(1, NETWORKDAYS("9/1/2013"-1, "9/30/2013")))

Upvote 0
Code:
[COLOR=#0000ff]=WORKDAY("9/1/2013", RANDBETWEEN(1, NETWORKDAYS("9/1/2013"-1, "9/30/2013")))[/COLOR]

Returns some Values of 10/1/13 if the 9/1/13 is 9/2/13

If
A1 = Start Date
A2 = End Date (This needs to be a weekday)

Code:
=MIN($A$2,DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),1,RANDBETWEEN(WEEKNUM($A$1-1,2),WEEKNUM($A$2-1,2))*7+RANDBETWEEN(0,4)))

Mine Will create a few more End of Month Days though if the end of the month falls on a Monday (Like this month)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually I think a slight modification of shg's solution will work. Please see the formula below and let me know if I'm incorrect.

B4 is the first date of the month (09/01/13)
B5 is the last date of the month (09/30/13)

=WORKDAY($B$4-1, RANDBETWEEN(1, NETWORKDAYS($B$4, $B$5,Holidays)))

I subtracted one day from the first date of the month for the WORKDAY start date (so it starts on 8/31/13) and instead of subtracting one day from the first date of NETWORKDAY I simply found the NETWORKDAYS between the two dates which gives me the number of work days in the month (I.E. 09/01/13 to 09/30/13 has 20 workdays excluding Labor Day 9/2).

Here's how it appears to work....it starts with the last date of previous month and randomly chooses a workday between the two dates (in my example from the 1st work day to the 20th work day) and it seems to always work which of course is the goal. Further, it appears to be actually random and doesn't select dates outside of the two dates.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Jeff

Upvote 0
If the start and end dates are always workdays, I think all you need is

=WORKDAY(dateBeg, RANDBETWEEN(0, NETWORKDAYS(dateBeg, dateEnd, Holidays) - 1), Holidays)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terrynelson55

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back