Random page margin spilling over

Skrej

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an Excel file stored on a shared drive that we use for manual sign-in attendance.

Because multiple people need access to this file, it's stored on a shared drive where anyone can access. I created this file, and since it's heavy with formulas and formatting, including very specific margins for printing, most of the tabs are password protected against formatting and changes, and the only tab anyone can make changes is to a basic front page where people can add names and change dates (via data validation). This information then spills over automatically into the actual sign in sheets to be printed.

What I can't understand, is that when certain co-workers go to print the sign-in sheets, some of the content spills outside the margins, printing a 2nd additional page. However, when I and others open it to print (same file, remember), it prints normally on one page as intended. Due to page and workbook protection, they can't really change margins or anything, and in fact I've watched them open the page and do nothing but print, only to have the last few lines of the page spill over. They can close the document, and when I immediately open it on my computer, it prints normal. For roughly 1/2 our staff, it prints normally,while about 1/2 of them have the spillover issue. The amount that does spill over is consistent between users who have the issue. Additionally, we're all printing to the same printer.

Any ideas what can be going on? It must be something related to individual computer settings, but it just doesn't make sense to me how it prints fine for some people, but not others when it's the same exact file with no changes. I don't know how to 'fix' it so the margins don't spill, since they're not physically changing the margins.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Maybe check user's default paper settings for A4 vs Letter. A4 is slightly smaller. I remember an occasion where some users had the OS language set as US English instead of Canada English, and it changed the default paper size.

Upvote 0
From the description, you can conclude that the problem is the printer driver and probably the wrong page settings for printing. Different printer drivers generate the print differently.
As for the print page settings you probably have the Scaling set wrong. Instead of "Fit to X% of actual size" you should choose "Fit pages" If the document is always single page enter 1 [H] and 1 [V]. If the document is multi-page, where the pages are stacked one below the other, then type 1 [H] and clear the [V] field to leave it blank. With this page setting, regardless of the driver, the pages should be scaled so that the entire width range of the document fits on the page.

Artik

Upvote 0
From the description, you can conclude that the problem is the printer driver and probably the wrong page settings for printing. Different printer drivers generate the print differently.
As for the print page settings you probably have the Scaling set wrong. Instead of "Fit to X% of actual size" you should choose "Fit pages" If the document is always single page enter 1 [H] and 1 [V]. If the document is multi-page, where the pages are stacked one below the other, then type 1 [H] and clear the [V] field to leave it blank. With this page setting, regardless of the driver, the pages should be scaled so that the entire width range of the document fits on the page.

Artik

I did check all the scale settings, and they were identical to my own. However, the print driver seems like a possibility - I see some similar threads below with the same issue that indicated a driver issue.

I will also have them try the 'fit pages' solution you mention, though. Getting a driver update will prove difficult as our IT department, and we don't have rights to update ourselves, so hopefully we can circumvent that.
Maybe check user's default paper settings for A4 vs Letter. A4 is slightly smaller. I remember an occasion where some users had the OS language set as US English instead of Canada English, and it changed the default paper size.

I'll double-check, but I think I verified that already, but thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
I've had a chance to update and check things now that we're back from the holiday break, and unfortunately none of these solutions have resolved the issue. I think I'm going to have to try to get IT to update drivers, which is always a battle onto itself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zooster

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back