Random numbering

hopelessvolunteer

Hello all, new to the board.

I have a list of names in Column A going from row 2 to 15. I want to randomly assign them a number ranging from 1-14, but that random number can not be assigned twice. I only need each number once.

I am putting the formula in column B.

Can someone please help me.

Thanks!! :p

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
With a helper column, e.g. in C2 copied down to C15

=RAND()

in B2 down

=RANK(C2,C$2:C$15)

hide column C if you wish

if worksheet is re-calculated numbers will change (hit F9 to recalculate)

Upvote 0
Random Numberin

Also, how to I ensure that if the same person is in Column A and in Column D, they do not get the same random number. Thank you very much, it is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I am not sure about your other questions, but excel won't sort formulas. So you would have to copy and paste the Values in a different sheet to sort.

Upvote 0
Re: Random Numbering

Hello all, new to the board.

I have a list of names in Column A going from row 2 to 15. I want to randomly assign them a number ranging from 1-14, but that random number can not be assigned twice. I only need each number once.

I am putting the formula in column B.

Can someone please help me.

Thanks!! :p

Also, how to I ensure that if the same person is in Column A and in Column D, they do not get the same random number. Thank you very much, it is greatly appreciated.

How do I sort this, once I put in the formula's, when I choose a sort is does not sort it. Thanks

How do I keep the numbers from re-calculating each time I switch pages in the worksheet?

Thanks

Why don't you figure out what it is you really want/need and then make a single comprehensive post? That way you get a solution to your real problem.

Upvote 0
Random

What I am trying to do is this:

I have 2 columns (B and C) of names, some of the names will be the same in each column.

I need to randomly pick one name from each column, until all the names in each column are picked only once. But the random picked name can't duplicate. For example: if George is in column B and C, when the random pick is done George can not pick himself.

Hope this makes sense and is better describing what I need to get done.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Re: Random

What I am trying to do is this:

I have 2 columns (B and C) of names, some of the names will be the same in each column.

I need to randomly pick one name from each column, until all the names in each column are picked only once. But the random picked name can't duplicate. For example: if George is in column B and C, when the random pick is done George can not pick himself.

Hope this makes sense and is better describing what I need to get done.

Thanks.
OK, so there's nothing in A or D. No formulas in B. Correct?

Also, if George is in B and he cannot pick George in C, how can Jane in B pick George in C? After all, George in B might pick Karl in C!

If you want truly unique pairings, put all the names in a single column, remove duplicates with Data | Filter > Advanced Filter... and then use the previously indicated technique for creating a random list. Now, pair 1 & 2, 3 & 4, etc.

For more ways to generate a list in random order see
Random Selection
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/rand_selection/index.html

Upvote 0
Random Numbering

What I am doing is a spreadsheet for the sport of Team Roping, where you have a header and a heeler. People come and enter and then randomly draw their partners. But sometimes one person will enter Heading and Heeling. I used the example above as George entered heading and heeling.

With the help of your last post here is what I have done.

Column A has all of the Headers names in it,
Column B has the following formula to randomly draw a Heeler, =INDEX($C$2:$C$14,RANK(D2,$D$2:$D$14))
Column C has the Heelers names in it
Column D has the following formula in it, =RAND()

I need to know if there is a way that I can put in the formula, so the same name does not appear in Column A row 2 Column B row 2?

And how do I copy and paste just the values, after I have done the random pick, not the formula?

Thank you so much for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ejanes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back