Quick and easy I hope - report returning ID instead of name (content)

dwcrockford

I have designed a report based on a query. The query returns the result of the content of the field properly (text - company name). When I pull a report based on that query, the report displays the company's ID number instead of the associated name.

Again, the QUERY is returning the correct content, but the report based on the query is not.

Explanations/fixes please.

D

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
In design view, click on the report control that's showing the ID and look at the property sheet. Then make sure it's bound to the correct query field. Also, make sure it's the right query. I know that might sound dumb, but I've played around with variations of a query and accidentally used the wrong one for a report. You might have intended to include the ID on the report but are missing a control for the company name (or it's invisible).

Upvote 0
I have designed a report based on a query. The query returns the result of the content of the field properly (text - company name). When I pull a report based on that query, the report displays the company's ID number instead of the associated name.

Again, the QUERY is returning the correct content, but the report based on the query is not.

Explanations/fixes please.

D
Sounds like you have encountered the Evils of Lookup Fields in Tables (click here)

You will need to add the related customer table and join on the customer ID. Add the desired fields from the Customer table to the query output

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmcquade91

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back