Question Regarding Calculated Fields in Pivot Tables- Excel 2013

tcurley78

I am looking to create a calculated field in Excel 2013 that will measure the growth of sales dollars when comparing two different years. The problem I am having is that the raw data in which the pivot table is built off of does has all of the sales in one column. The report list the customer name in one column, the next column will have the item, the next column has the month of sale, the next column has the year of sale, the next column has the sales dollars and the next column has the sales units.

Is there any way that I can create a calculated field in the pivot table to calculate the growth of year over year sales even though technically all of the sales data is coming from the same field?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
If I understand you correctly. You need to create a calculated item as opposed to a calculated field.

If you you click into your year row label in your pivot table, the option for "calculated item" should be selectable in the PivotTable Tools tab of your Ribbon, under "fields, items and sets"

There you should be able to create a calculated item by selecting your "year" field and creating a formula using the Items in that field.

FYI:
As a warning calculated items can be slow(especially in big data sets). The fewer row fields and column fields, the faster it will be. This is because, to make the calculation excel creates every possibility of your field lists (even ones that don't exist).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back