Question on Exercise in "Excel for Sci and Eng - 2003"

eholz1

Hello Again,

I have been working with the book, "Excel for Scientists and Engineers" by Dr. Gerard
Verschuuren. this is the Excel 2003 vintage. On page 75 of this book are some good
exercises using various flavors of the lookup functions. I have a question about Exercise 34, item 5. It says, "...find severity of any MPH wind setting by using one of the LOOKUP functions with a nested MATCH function." This is real easy with INDEX and MATCH, and VLOOKUP and MATCH. I thought I would try it with HLOOKUP as well, but I am thinking this may not be possible in this case. For this example assume that cell E6 is where I enter the windspeed, Range is the cells with data for the "Hurricanes", without the labels. I know what I want, =HLOOKUP(E6,Range,row,true), this works fine. In order to return a value for the severity, I know that I need to get data from "row 2" in the Range. If I were to use MATCH, it would need to return the correct row (always "2") for the severity value. I have not yet been able to see how to get MATCH to return the correct "row" (really a column?) in all cases.

I can get it to "work" using this syntax:
=HLOOKUP(E6,B2:G4,MATCH("none",B3:G3,1) -1, TRUE).

Here the severity is in the range (for the match func) of b3:g3. I put a text value as my search. If I pick "weak", then I need to subtract "2" from the result that MATCH returns, and so on. I figured that out just by playing around with things, but I am not sure that that is a valid approach.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks for plenty of challenge.

eric / eholz1

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I would suggest this: =HLOOKUP($J$1,$B$1:$G$3,MATCH(I2,$A$1:$A$3,0),1)
assuming that the table is in A1:G3 (minus the 1st column) and the search cell in J1 (followed by J2 and J2 for results).

Bill

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I love your podcasts. Particularly the one on the pull function.

I did play around with the response, in my case the cells with the data were in the
range of a1:f3, i can place the "windspeed" (or the search value) in a cell, and use MATCH
such that it looking for an approximate match with the cells you site in your statement.
Translated into english, it is: "try to match anything in row two of my range". HLOOKUP is the easy part, searching the range for the "speed", and using MATCH for the row value.

In one sense this defies logic (at least my logic!) - but it works.

Thanks,

eholz1 (aka: eric)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenningstrades

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back