question about excel job

joe2324

I'm about to interview for a data analyst position which requires advanced sql skills which I have and also advanced excel knowledge. My quesiton is I would consider my excel skills to be very strong except my excel vba knowledge is limited. I would say i'm very strong with vlookups, index/match, array formuals, what if/scenarios, pivot tables, powerpivot, DAX formulas and other things, but my vba knowledge is not so great. would those skill sets be considered advanced in the excel world without really knowing vba too well.
Honestly, I do a lot of stuff with excel, but I've only had to use vba once and that was code that someone else wrote and I jus stole from the internet for something I was doing at work. I'm just not sure what people mean by "advanced excel skills" I would say im confortable with many aspects of excel except vba b/c I never had a reason to use it or learn it.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
From my experience, "advanced excel skills" does not generally include VBA (most employers don't even know what VBA is!).

If VBA is a required skill for the role this will usually be specifically listed in the selection criteria.

For most data analyst roles I've interviewed for, "Advanced" Excel knowledge is usually referring to a working knowledge of VLOOKUPs and PivotTables.

Given your description of your abilities, you are definitely considered "Advanced" for 99.9% of any office environment. VBA is something that is usually asked for, specifically, if a job requires knowledge of it.

Thank you for the replies. I just had the phone interview today and the position has absolutely no vba which is great. Your both right. The job consists of vlookups, powerpivot, pivot tables scenario manager and other things. It also consists of a lot of SQL work which is great. I was just worried they would need VBA knowledge for this position. The interview went well and I should be hearing something by next week.

Thank you for the replies. I just had the phone interview today and the position has absolutely no vba which is great. Your both right. The job consists of vlookups, powerpivot, pivot tables scenario manager and other things. It also consists of a lot of SQL work which is great. I was just worried they would need VBA knowledge for this position. The interview went well and I should be hearing something by next week.
Your skill set sounds a lot like mine (except for the SQL stuff).

In my opinion "advanced Excel skills" would include a strong knowledge of VBA. However, look where I've gotten without knowing much VBA!

In my old job we did tons of calculations (formulas) and never needed VBA to accomplish what we needed to accomplish.

I would love to know more VBA myself but I just can't get motivated to jump into it full bore. I have to go full bore or nothing.

Good luck!

In my old job we did tons of calculations (formulas) and never needed VBA to accomplish what we needed to accomplish.
I tend to use native methods (formulae) where possible rather than VBA. But for me the value of VBA isn't so much for calculations but rather to create a stable and controlled environment so that users don't stuff up the model. Also often for presentation... The exception here is for those jobs where I have to tap into external systems...

In my opinion we need distinction between 'user' and 'developer'. I don't think an advanced user needs much/any VBA knowledge. As a user I tend not to spend much time coding and my models tend to be formula-based. A developer on the other hand should have sufficient knowledge of VBA and the Excel Object Model...

Hope this helps: Microsoft's own Excel Expert Certification (from browsing quickly) includes macros but not VBA specifically. Here is a link you can check it out: Excel 2010 Expert
Macros and VBA are one and the same (unless you're using an ancient version of Excel).

In modern versions of Excel macros are application instructions written in VBA.

I tend to use native methods (formulae) where possible rather than VBA. But for me the value of VBA isn't so much for calculations but rather to create a stable and controlled environment so that users don't stuff up the model. Also often for presentation... The exception here is for those jobs where I have to tap into external systems...

In my opinion we need distinction between 'user' and 'developer'. I don't think an advanced user needs much/any VBA knowledge. As a user I tend not to spend much time coding and my models tend to be formula-based. A developer on the other hand should have sufficient knowledge of VBA and the Excel Object Model...
That there is some excellent insight from someone with advanced Excel knowledge.

Macros and VBA are one and the same (unless you're using an ancient version of Excel).

In modern versions of Excel macros are application instructions written in VBA.
I realize that, but the distinction I would make is actually knowing the VBA language as a programmer, or knowing it functionally to work in excel (getting code from the macro recorder, etc). For example, I can write some VBA to calculate some cell values, but I could not write code to make the next version of windows solitaire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back