question about allowing NULLS

Megatron-Lives

Board Regular
1. Where is the option to allow NULLs in table design view?

2. How do you enter a NULL in a datasheet view?

-edit - just realized I could have searched first, searching now-

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
1. Having the "Required" property set to "No" will allow Null values.

2. "Null" is the absence of an entry. If you enter anything, it isn't Null anymore. If you have it set to not require an entry (see #1 above), and don't make any entries, then you will have a "Null" entry in that field.

Upvote 0
hmm, in sql server, a blank and a NULL are two different things... so I guess that throws my whole usage of NULLS out the window..

Upvote 0
What is it that you are trying to do?

Upvote 0
i was all off about how i thought nulls worked, am chatting with my bro now, he codes sql server at Instinet.

thanks for the quick replies, but he set me straight

Upvote 0
Here is some further info on Access Nulls and Blanks...

About blank values in fields
Microsoft Access allows you to distinguish between two kinds of blank values: Null values and zero-length strings. In some situations, a blank value indicates that the information might exist but is not currently known. In other situations, a blank value indicates that the field does not apply to a particular record.

For example, if a Customers table contains a Fax Number field, you can leave the field blank if you're unsure of the customer's fax number, or whether the customer even has a fax. In this case, leaving the field blank enters a Null value, which means you don't know what the value is. If you later determine that the customer doesn't have a fax, you can enter a zero-length string in the field to indicate that you know there is no value.

Indicate nonexistent data with a zero-length string
To indicate nonexistent data in a Microsoft Access database, you can enter a zero-length string into a Text or Memo field. In a Microsoft Access project that is connected to a Microsoft SQL Server database, you can enter a zero-length string in a field whose data type is varchar or nvarchar.

Open a datasheet, or open a form in Form view.
To enter a zero-length string in the field, type two double quotation marks without a space in between (" ").
The field remains a zero-length string, even though the quotation marks disappear when you move to another field or object.

Upvote 0
See Access help under: About working with blank fields in queries

Searching for Null values or zero-length strings

If you're using a query to search for Null values or zero-length strings, type Is Null into the Criteria cell to search for Null values, or type two double quotation marks (" ") into the Criteria cell to search for zero-length strings (don't type a space between the quotation marks).

CT

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeller10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back