Query using 'Alias'?

daknight

I have a table [tblcomplaint_local] and one of the fields on this table is [CSCustName]. I have an append query that adds records from a table [FRLCComplaint]. On the FRLCComplaint table I have a field [FLLBLDESC] and I want the data from that field to go into the [CSCustName] field on the [tblComplaint_local] when I append.
Both fields are a customer names and I want them in the same column on my [tblComplaint_local]. Is this possible? I have read about using an 'alias' that might work, but I can't figure it out.

I hope I explained this right. After I run the append query, I want my tblCompliant_local to have all my complaints, but pull the [FLLBLDESC] field data into the CSCustName field that is already in tblComplaint_ local. I do NOT want a field [FLLBLDESC] on my tblComplaint_local, but I need that data in the CSCustName field.
Thanks for any help with this.
Darla

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi Darla

What you have described is definitely possible. You don't need to use an 'alias' for this.

Before you use any new append queries, you might want to create a copy of the target table (select the table and copy, paste) - this way you have a copy of the original data in case you make a mistake or the append query doesn't quite do what you want.

Create a new query, add the FRLCComplaint table -> Ok, Click Query -> Append -> Select tblcomplaint_local table -> ok. Add the [FLLBLDESC] field into your query (and any other fields you want to transfer over), and in the 'append to' line under [FLLBLDESC] select the [CSCustName] field. Repeat for any other fields you are transferring over. Save and run.

This will append the [FLLBLDESC] information (and any other information you have selected) from the FRLCComplaint table into the [CSCustName] field in the tblcomplaint_local table.

If this isn't quite what you are looking for just let us know.

Cheers, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Query with 'Alias?'

Thanks, Andrew. That did EXACTLY what I needed. And a lot easier than I was thinking!

Darla

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adyapratama

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back