query too complex?

khatley

Board Regular
I have a table that is about 2000 rows and 155 columns. This is an imported tab delimited file. I have updated a Public Folder hierarchy with new ACLS and have this file that I need to verify I actually got all of the folders. I am trying to querry for an account name called PFassessment, it can be in any cell in the row. I put Not Like "PFassessemnt" in the criteria and it worked fine when I only have 35 fields, but when I do it for 155 it says it is too complex. I thought I could use the * to set criteria but it wont let me do that so any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I think that you probably have hit a limit of complexity for Access though I thought it would do 40 columns.

I am not sure why you are using "not like" when you are trying to find the thing though.
I would have thought that you wanted to just search for it in every column with an OR expression.

You may do better by looking for it using VBA where you can just keep looping through all of the records to see if it is there or not.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi peter there's indeed a limit of complecity in access.
However I have a table which consists of over 200 columns and 70,000 records (don't ask me why).

If you're only looking for not luk "PFassessemnt" just don't select (acitvate) group by. Then you can use the whole table if you like (I'm using Access 2000 and XP)

Greetings monkey

Upvote 0
The problem lays in how many AND statements that you can have in SQL. Adding 155 separate criteria choked Access.
I think that the limit on Columns is 255 and rows are only limited by memory

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fahad_ibnfurjan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back