bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
We have a database where data is imported monthly from our accounting system. We have a number of Access tables that provide additional information that is used to create various dashboards . These table allow us to map the revenues and expenses to these dashboard categories.

Often, GL accounts are imported that have not been previously mapped and we need to add these to the existing tables.

How do I create an update query to update this revenue/expense table with any new GL accounts that need to be mapped to the P&L buckets?

I hope I'm explaining this properly.

In short, I need to create an update query to update exisitng tables with new, unmapped data being imported into Access.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Michael

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I was wondering, is the query I need an append or an update quer?. I need to add gl accounts from the imported data table that don't exist in the GL table (the table that is used in the query that is exported back into Excel which is used to create our P&L). Is this possible to do?

thank you for your help,

Michael

Upvote 0
An Append Query ADDS new records to a table. An Update Query UPDATES existing records in a table.

Is what you want to do possible? Probably.
However, without knowing how your tables are structured and what your data looks like, it is impossible to provide any sort of specifics.

Upvote 0
An Append Query ADDS new records to a table. An Update Query UPDATES existing records in a table.

Is what you want to do possible? Probably.
However, without knowing how your tables are structured and what your data looks like, it is impossible to provide any sort of specifics.

Yes, I would want an append query/ I have fields in the new data that are not in the old tables. I need to add more records.

What kind of criteria would I have to use have the append query add those GL accounts that do not appear in the old table. I'm understand enough about queries to create them but I haven't use them in a while so I don't know what criteria I under to use to add only those records that aren't in the existing table.

Thank you

Upvote 0
You can do an Unmatched Query to create a query of just the new records. There is even a Wizard to help walk you through that.
You just need to identify which field(s) are the primary/unique fields that can be used to constitute what is and what isn't a new record.
By default, the Wizard only allows you to join on one field. If you have a multi-field join, then you can just join on one, and then edit the query afterwards to add in the other field joins.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senthil Murugan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back