Query Invalid Procedure Call

rawellz

Morning,

I have created a query to pull information from 2 linked tables (one is a SharePoint list and the other is a CSV file). Below is the SQL code I have been using. This code has worked with other projects but now it is giving me an "Invalid Procedure Call". Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SELECT [SharePoint].Name, [SharePoint].[File Type], [SharePoint].[URL Path] AS [Sharepoint Location], [CSV)].DirectoryName AS [CSV Location], [SharePoint].[CREATED] AS Created, [SharePoint].[CREATED BY] AS [Created By], [SharePoint].[REVIEWED] AS Status
FROM [SharePoint] LEFT JOIN [CSV] ON Left(CStr([SharePoint].Name),InStr([SharePoint].Name,"#")-1)=[CSV].Name;

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
ok...i have taken some time to digest that and my wheels are still spinning. Any help with an approach to troubleshoot it?

Unfortunately, I am a novice when it comes to writing code. The code you see above was written by someone else with my oversight. That person is no longer available.

Upvote 0
how many Names are in the SharePoint list ?

if its small just open the linked list and look through it

one of them will not have a #

and because it doesn't the InStr will return 0

then when you do 0 - 1 you get -1

so you end up doing

Left(CStr([SharePoint].Name), -1) )

an that fails because it can't take -1 left characters

you could also try a query

select
[SharePoint].Name
FROM [SharePoint]
where
Name not like '*[#]*'

that should give you a list of all names that don't have a # in them

Upvote 0
This error is often caused by trying to convert a null using conversion functions such as CStr, Cdate, etc. If [SharePoint].Name is always a string WHEN it's there (judging by the name of the field I assume it is a string value), there is no need to convert it. Since this is only a Select query, back up the old query and change the sql after the Left function part to Left([SharePoint].Name,InStr([SharePoint].Name,"#")-1=[CSV].Name;
If this works, you should investigate if it's OK to have nulls for [SharePoint].Name, and if not, correct that situation. If it is OK, either convert the null using the NZ function or see if you really need to convert [SharePoint].Name to a string using CStr. If the change does not fix the problem, James may be more in tune with what the problem is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back