Query File Type Mismatch

sarahrosenberg

Board Regular
I am trying to link two tables that each contain an "Account Number" field. The two tables were data mined differently, and in one table this field is a Text field, and in the other table it is a Number field. This gives me a file type mismatch.

I though the obvious thing was to change the field format. But, if I tried to change Text to Number, it will delete about 1/3 of my records. When I change Number to Text, the numbers do not exaclty match up, because the Text field is always the 11 digit number even if there is a zero at the front to make it 11 digits. When I convert my Number to Text, the field is sometimes 10 digits and sometimes 11. I don't know how to force a zero at the front to make it 11 digits every time.

Thanks!

Sarah

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
You could do an if is length "LEN" = 10, "0" & the "field", else use the number
in a query. Or, you could convert both to 'values' using trim function
in query. I had that before and I had to have 4 expressions in my
query before I could get the exact match. (exp1,exp2,exp3,exp4)

Funky little formula. "iif" I think. I might have one somewhere if you can't find.

Upvote 0
FYI.. SAMPLE OF FIRST EXPRESSION

Expr2: IIf(Len([RATE_CODE])>1,"A" & [RATE_CODE],[RATE_CODE2])

Upvote 0
Hi Sarah,

Following on from the suggestion from uriah, one way to do this might be to change the format of the account number field in the 2nd table to 'text'. Create a new query, make it an update query, add the account number field from the 2nd table, enter a criteria of : Len([Account_Number])<(11) and enter this in the 'update to' field : "0" & [Account_Number]. Be sure to use your actual field name where I have used 'Account_Number'. This will add leading zeroes to the account numbers that are 1 digit short and you can now link on this field.

If you are going to import more data into this field, then it may be safer to create a new account number field in the second table (formatted as text) but leave the orginal field alone. In your update query, you want to update the new account number field to something like this : IIf(Len([Account_Number])=11, [Account_Number], "0" & [Account Number]) {make sure you use your actual field names} You would then link on this field instead.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back