Query dependent report

nmajdan

I made this expense tracking sheet in excel and i recently moved it to access. all the calculations would really begin to bog down the excel sheet once it got larger, so i moved it to access. now i'm trying to make all the reports and queries i need.

i have on report fed from one parameter query. i open the report, is asks me what month, i enter 7 (for july) and it prints all the expenses from january. now i'm trying to add other totals. for example: total amount spent on food in july, amt spent in cash, check, credit card, amount spent on bills, etc. i can create all the queries for these, but if i do that, i'll have a massive number of queries.

my question is: when i open the report i enter the monthis (7 for july). how can i make the other queries (food, gas, credit card, cash) parameter queries that get their input from whatever month i chose in the original query? i hope I explained that well enough.

so i open query 1 (which the report is based on). i enter 7 for july. it lists all expenses for july and then plugs the 7 into the other queries and gives me those results for july as well. thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Can you build one "master" query that links all the other queries and returns all the fields you need? Then you only need to have a paramter on this master query, and not on all the underlying queries.

Upvote 0
jmiskey said:
Can you build one "master" query that links all the other queries and returns all the fields you need? Then you only need to have a paramter on this master query, and not on all the underlying queries.

uhhh, how do i make a "master" query. I know I cant get all the information I need in one query or else the formatting is all off.

Upvote 0
Just like you can link tables together in a query, you can also link tables and queries, and/or queries with other queries together into one "master" query.

As long as your tables/queries are all related, you should be able to link them together in another query.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRASHLEY

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back