qualifying field names - SQL, query designer

Gates Is Antichrist

This is somewhat an academic question. Consider a query with one source table only. In the query designer, you can select Table from a dropdown (which in this case has only 1 entry). Yet you can also just hit the delete key on the field, and it'll work the same.

The difference is that the underlying SQL is affected. If a table is selected in the query design interface, the SQL is qualified - e.g. Table1.Field1. If table is not shown in the design (e.g. you "hit delete key") then the SQL has just Field1.

My question is whether there is an esoteric benefit to the qualification. I'm tempted to start deleting them, to reduce visual noisiness - both in the designer and the SQL.

And how about you speed wizards - does the qualification or lack impact performance? I guess that is really a Jet question rather than Access...

Finally, in fact, the table qualification is optional even with multiple FROM tables! Again, I wonder if there is a meaningful speed consideration; is there just a one-time resolution or does non-qualification cost you?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back