Q1, Q2, H1 - Podcast #1183

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Mar 5, 2010.
Is the fill handle smart enough to fill in quarters and halves? Maybe. Maybe not.
Episode #1183 shows you why.
Also, in this episode, a challenge to users - view the podcast for details
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
MrExcel podcast is brought to you by ”Easy-XL”!
Hey welcome back, it’s another MrExcel netcast, I'm Bill Jelen.
I was in Milwaukee last week doing the Power Excel seminar for the Milwaukee Institute of Internal Auditors.
And of course, you know, I always show the fill handle, how you can type January and grab the fill handle, drag.
It'll type the month names for you, and it works with the days of the week, and it works with abbreviations, you know, for both the months in the days.
If you put a date in there, Ctrl+; puts today's date, grab the fill handle, drag, it’ll fill in the next day.
I actually have to get it though, the next day, the next day, the next day!
Another cool trick, if you need to just fill in the week days, right-click the fill handle, drag, and choose Fill Weekdays, it fills in just the Monday-Friday dates.
And, of course, with quarters it's smart enough that after quarter 1 it starts over again, alright, so we have all of that, Room 101, it goes on.
And then someone in the audience was trying, they had a laptop, you know, and they said “Hey, check this out, Q1, Q2, H1!
It's smart enough to go Q3, Q4, H2!” I was like “Wow, I never knew that was there, that is so cool!” But it turns out it's not that cool at all, let me undo, and when I drag farther, see it goes up to H3, so they don't actually understand the concept.
What's happening here, if we have A1, A2, B17 and drag that, they're going to extend them both in some nice little patterns, A3, A4, B18, A5, A6.
B19.
So actually, I'm issuing a challenge to you, if you've discovered some weird thing that the fill handle does like Q1, Q2, H1, send that in to bill@mrexcel.com.
The best weird thing that the fill handle does will put on a future podcast, and give you a free MrExcel bubble tumbler with the Excel tag cloud, there we go.
Hey, I want to thank you for stopping by, we'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back