Pull data from every 5th column based on dropdown selection

Twinky

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi,
I need to populate a column of cells based on a dropdown list selection at the top of that column. The dropdown list is based on a series of columns located towards the right on the same sheet. Those columns on the right are organized in groups with column headings (BUDGET UPDATE 1, BUDGET UPDATE 2, BUDGET UPDATE 3 etc etc). I have a "NOTES" column within each of the BUDGET UPDATES groups.
1719344888413.png

I'd like to use a dropdown list with BUDGET UPDATE 1, BUDGET UPDATE 2, BUDGET UPDATE 3 etc etc. to then extract the data in the respective "NOTES" column that corresponds to it
1719344946159.png

The problem I'm having is that the "NOTES" columns are not consecutive, but are located every fifth column. I have successfully used the INDEX & MATCH to work elsewhere within this workbook but I haven't got a clue how to get the formula to ignore the in-between columns.

If you have any ideas, thanks SO MUCH in advance!

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Try this:
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
1Budget Update 1Budget Update 2Budget Update 3
2IncreaseNotesTotal OcOPBCauseIncreaseIncreaseNotesTotal OcOPBCauseIncreaseIncreaseNotesTotal OcOPBCauseIncrease
3NINWXNNKUVPT
4WVNYPQTHSZMV
5QDATGNBXTOEA
6GCBNAMIHORFS
7ZLZEJITTCQIB
9List
10Budget Update 1
11Budget Update 2
12DropDownBudget Update 3
13Budget Update 2
14NOTES
15XNNK
16PQTH
17GNBX
18AMIH
19JITT
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B15:B19B15=INDEX($A$3:$R$7,0,MATCH($B$13,$A$1:$R$1,0)+1)
Dynamic array formulas.
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B13List=$D$10:$D$12

Upvote 0
Try this:
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
1Budget Update 1Budget Update 2Budget Update 3
2IncreaseNotesTotal OcOPBCauseIncreaseIncreaseNotesTotal OcOPBCauseIncreaseIncreaseNotesTotal OcOPBCauseIncrease
3NINWXNNKUVPT
4WVNYPQTHSZMV
5QDATGNBXTOEA
6GCBNAMIHORFS
7ZLZEJITTCQIB
9List
10Budget Update 1
11Budget Update 2
12DropDownBudget Update 3
13Budget Update 2
14NOTES
15XNNK
16PQTH
17GNBX
18AMIH
19JITT
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B15:B19B15=INDEX($A$3:$R$7,0,MATCH($B$13,$A$1:$R$1,0)+1)
Dynamic array formulas.
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B13List=$D$10:$D$12
Thanks so much awoohaw, really appreciate you taking the time to help out.
Your layout seems quite clear to me and I didn't have any problem seeing what you did. However, for some reason the array isn't returning value. It's just blank when I enter the notes and make the dropdown selection.
There is this other odd thing that the array is producing: it's returning a 0 in the cells that are located between the rows where I would enter any data or notes. Here is a screen shot. For clarity, I added a green color to the column where the array is located. The cells that have visible grid lines are the active value lines which would have corresponding notes entered in my columns off to the far left of the sheet.
Any ideas what may be going wrong?
Capture3.PNG

awoohaw

Upvote 0
I don't know what to say. My suggestion was based on your initial scenario.

Without knowing your data I don't see how I can update the I don't know what your data looks like, pictures are worthless without the underlying formulas and row and column numbers.

Have you pasted my suggestion into a fresh worksheet and then try to build around that?

Unless you post an xl2bb mini sheet (or a plain table paste) of your data and expected results I don't see what can be done.

The only thing that I did not make clear is to question your top row. If those are merged cells (which I abhor) then the match formula may not work correctly. To fix that: unmerge those cells and use the "Center over Selection" method for formatting your group headers.

Upvote 0
I don't know what to say. My suggestion was based on your initial scenario.

Without knowing your data I don't see how I can update the I don't know what your data looks like, pictures are worthless without the underlying formulas and row and column numbers.

Have you pasted my suggestion into a fresh worksheet and then try to build around that?

Unless you post an xl2bb mini sheet (or a plain table paste) of your data and expected results I don't see what can be done.

The only thing that I did not make clear is to question your top row. If those are merged cells (which I abhor) then the match formula may not work correctly. To fix that: unmerge those cells and use the "Center over Selection" method for formatting your group headers.
Ok I'll play around a bit and try and resolve. Thanks agian so much for getting me this far, I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back