Protecting Sheet from users but permitting Power Automate

Matt_G

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook in which I have emails being added to tables via Power Automate each time they come in with some basic information. I then have multiple users in the organization who come behind that and fill in additional information, inclusive of data validation fields (4 columns) with options they should not deviate from. They consistently paste free-form text to those cells turning off the data validation and make my reporting incredibly difficult. I can protect the sheet but this stops Power Automate from functioning. I assume Power Automate is editing the file using my credentials and I could potentially add that to an Allow Edit Range permissions object but the Locations option is set to my personal machine and will not pull from the organization.

How can I restrict permissions from users while not inhibiting Power Automate from functioning? If that's a non-starter, would it be possible to use Power Automate or anything else to compare user values against the tables in which I keep the validation options and send out angry emails when a non-compliant entry is found?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
You could include two Office Scripts codes: One to unlock the worksheet in your Power Automate flow before you do everything else, and then another code to lock the worksheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back