Protect Workbook with strong encryption password.

ballgnm

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
So there are many tutorials saying you can crack excel password with hex editor or just notepad.
I cracked my coworkers' forgotten password with that method.

But there were one file that I couldn't do that which was encrypted.

So I want to know how to protect file with that level of protection?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
When you save the file, in the Save As dialog where you provide the filename, go to the lower left corner. Click on "Tools" (to the left of the Save button). Select General Options, and you will get a dialog to enter a password. When the file is saved, it will be encrypted using that password as a key. My understanding is that saving as .xlsb offers additional security since it is not stored in zip format.

There are discussions about this online but it is important to distinguish between passwords for VBA projects, sheet protection, and workbook encryption. The first two are easy to defeat because you can write code to brute-force the password. I think the third method is as secure as any other password scheme. However, I don't think there is any penalty for entering wrong passwords so this could probably be brute-forced too but it would have to have done external to the file (the first two can be done with VBA).

Another method is to encrypt the file outside of Excel altogether using a product like 7Zip.

Upvote 0
My understanding is that saving as .xlsb offers additional security since it is not stored in zip format
It's still zip format, but the contents of the zip are largely binary files, not plain XML.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back