Protect a workbook when password is disabled

BENSONJR

Protect a workbook when password is disabled

How can I protect an excel workbook solution I’m doing at work on my own. It is lodged in a remote server. 1) To safely back it up, I cannot save it to a portable memory key. I can receive e-mails there but I cannot send them, thus I cannot send the file as an attachment either. 2) The access and modification password feature are disabled and so are the ones at worksheet and cell level.

1) How can I extract a copy? – 2) How can I protect it or?

I want to be able to create a macro that works in conjunction with an idea I saw here to force people to first having to enable macros and also create a macro time based that will close the workbook, or will stay in a blank worksheet, if the value in a cell is not the correct one. Another more dramatic option I would like to consider is self-destruction – the whole worksheets and but one macro get wiped out without recourse. Either those options or I welcome any ideas. Somebody is sneaking into my file and trying to steal my work. Thank you very much for your attention and help . . .

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
The security thing I can't speak to, but sounds ominous. I hope you get that worked out.

Meanwhile, there are many standard tricks for forcing people to enable macros in a workbook.

The most commonly suggested is that you use macros to HIDE all of your sheets in your workbook (using xlVeryHidden so only macros can unhide them, too) except a splash sheet showing just a greeting message warning that seeing this page means they opened the workbook without macros. Without macros, this sheet is the ONLY thing they see.

When the sheet is opened with macros enabled, the workbook_open macro hides the splash screen and presents the other sheets. To this macro you could also add a password prompt to add even more security.

If you Google on "Excel VBA Force Macros enable" you'll get tons of options.

http://www.excelguru.ca/node/91

http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=379

Upvote 0
Use file access permissions on the server to allow only authorized individuals to get to the file - in other words, in a safe location.

Alex

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back