Property ThemeColor Type Mismatch

jfgoodhew1

Hi All,

So I'm new to VBA and started out with the For Dummies book. I've got Excel 2010 and I'm struggling with a loop to change tab colors to color 1, 2, 3, ... of a theme. The problem is almost answered here: Colors question [Archive] - Xtreme Visual Basic Talk

My problem is I looked in Excel Help under ThemeColor property, and it says it is a Read/Write Variant.
I dimension SheetColor As Variant.
I then declare it (set its value?) using a string and the value of SheetNum (integer).
Then TypeName(SheetColor) shows String.
Then I get Type Mismatch error and the code fails.

So my desired result looks like this:
Sheet1.Tab.ThemeColor = xlThemeAccent1
Sheet2.Tab.ThemeColor = xlThemeAccent2
Then finally activate Sheet1 again.

I have code I wrote, which I can insert a MsgBox "OK" statement anywhere up to line ThemeColor = SheetColor.
I guess that is the line that has the problem, because SheetColor has type String, but ThemeColor requires a Variant argument.
If I use SheetColor.Value, I get requires an object (Value is a Property so doesn't fit the bill).
I found CStr which can convert anything to a string, but I didn't find an equivalent to help with converting to Variant (should be CVar).

Code:
Private Sub TabColor()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim SheetNum As Long
    Dim SheetColor As Variant
    Dim SheetName As String
    Dim Sht As Sheets

For SheetNum = 1 To Sheets.Count Step 1
        Worksheets(SheetNum).Activate
        SheetColor = "xlThemeColorAccent" & SheetNum
            With ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Tab
                .ThemeColor = SheetColor
            End With
        SheetNum = SheetNum + 1
    Next SheetNum
    Sheet1.Activate
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Any help getting this to work?

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
To clarify, my end goal is to cycle through the colors in a theme (hopefully a custom theme in the end but here I use a built in theme for simplicity) to put clients' branding colors into key positions in my spreadsheet, like the tab color.

Oh and now I know, manually incrementing SheetNum was wrong. I deleted that line. Next SheetNum does that for me.

I'm sorry bumping is really bad form, I'm just wondering if anyone is working on this, and what did I do wrong in my post to get no suggestions/replies? How can I do better next time?

I'm not trying to be unappreciative, I genuinely haven't managed to find an answer elsewhere or here, and would really really like someone with more knowledge than me to remember/figure it out and post back. This forum is crazy-busy so posts disappear down the list very quickly!

Best regards,
James

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back