Proper database setup

Triedtwice

I know enough about the Access 2007 I'm using to be dangerous to myself and others, but hopefully someone will feel pity for me and help...

I set up a database to track several different types of data for 300+ "sites". I have a table that has all the site numbers and their names; another table that has all the site numbers and whether they have specific kinds of paperwork (each kind of paperwork is its own field and there's an "x" if it applies to that particular site); the other tables list all the site numbers with a variety of fields. I've identified the site numbers as the primary key for each table and established relationships to tie each primary key (site no.) to the primary key in my first table (Site_List). I'm sure this is a very cumbersome way of getting the job done, but it does get the job done.

Now I have to add a way to track whether one or more of a list of 400 different names has been associated with any particular site...and I want to know the best way to set this up. I'm unable to share the database with anyone due to client confidentiality...I know that makes it almost impossible to help me...but, any takers?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I'd set up a couple of tables for that - the first lists your 400 different names along with a primary key (auto number unless there's already a unique identifier for each name).

A second table would then have a record containing the site PK and the name PK of any sites and names that are associated - make both fields in this table primary keys so you can't have a name associated with a site twice.
Maybe add a third field to show the type of association?

You can then run a query to return the site and any names associated with it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back