Programs that have MS Access File Open

smiley1978

Board Regular
I have a MS Access file that I cannot edit because it says that it is in use by another program. There is no lock file and I am the only one who uses this database and I know I do not have it opened in any other program. It there a way to either see what program has it open or to force close the connection?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
AKAIK, if someone can open the db but doesn't have create permissions on the folder containing the db, they get to open it exclusively (at least in older versions - not sure if this applies to your version) because they cannot create the locking information file. You say it is a program that is locking you out. Is it identified in the message? If someone has terminated a process while the db was opened via automation, it should reset when they shut down or log off their computer. You could try going to the containing folder in Windows Explorer, right click on one of the column headers (such as Name) and choose Other from the context menu. Look in the list for "Owner" and choose it. It may identify who has, or last had the file open.

I don't know how to remotely access a db through automation and test for connections but I suppose that might be doable.

Upvote 0
I have a MS Access file that I cannot edit because it says that it is in use by another program. There is no lock file and I am the only one who uses this database and I know I do not have it opened in any other program. It there a way to either see what program has it open or to force close the connection?

Is the database on a local drive or on a network share?

Upvote 0
The database is on a network folder and I have a SAS program that is the only program that accesses this database. I believe that my SAS session did not terminate correctly. I am the only other user that accesses this database.

Upvote 0
The database is on a network folder and I have a SAS program that is the only program that accesses this database. I believe that my SAS session did not terminate correctly. I am the only other user that accesses this database.

I think you may be correct that SAS sessions is the other "User" that has the database in use.

You can log onto the server where the database is located and use the the Computer Management console to what files are opened.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back