Programatically Search for matches and "near" matc

jdowski

Board Regular
Hi Access Experts !!
I am responsible for searching our records for "bad guys" who may have accounts with us here at the bank. What I have done up til now is to combine all of our customers name, address, social security #, etc. into one table. We get the names & info that we are to search for in the form of Word tables. Then, in a select query I concatenate (with spaces) the last name, the SSN#, and address into one field. I then search that field manually by typing in bits & pieces of the names or SSN#s that I'm looking for into the criteria grid. An example would be *johnso* when looking for names or *446587* when looking for SSN#s. My point in doing this "fuzzy" search is that I would like to generate and then look at even the near misses just to make sure that a data entry error in either our internal data, or the name & info being submitted for us to search isn't causing me to overlook something that bears closer scrutiny.
Well, after asking some questions I am now getting the names & info to search for in the form of txt files. I have already set up my import templates and a series of data cleansing queries to get the data into just the right format for me to search.
What my question is for the Access Experts who troll this board is this. I would like to set up a program that would via VBA grab my info, concatenate it with either leading or trailing or both * wildcards and search this against my other table of all our customer names & SSN#. I would like all the results, near misses and all to be written to a new table where in column one I would have the criteria used to generate the query or filter, column two would have the results of the search. I would be expected multiple records for multiple matches or near matches....
I realize that this is a big request but what I am looking for is some ideas as to what methods would serve me best, (filter?, query?) and basic ideas as to how to set them up.
Has anyone else had to do this kind of searching thing before ??

Thanks, :p

Joe Dowski
Oxford, CT. USA.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back