Problems with shared workbook (co-authoring) and merging remote changes

garun

Hi,
I have a shared workbook (co-authoring) that uses UserForm for the user to input information which is then added to a table on a sheet the user has chosen.
The problem is that when a user A has done so another user B gets a message the following message with a option to reopen the file:

NEW VERSION AVAILABLE Reopen to get the latest version. You won't lose any changes you've made.

When user B clicks Reopen he gets a message of:

UPLOAD FAILED Your file wasn't uploaded because your changes can't be merged with changes made by someone else.

This is a big problem since multiple users need to be able to add information as well as make changes without risking losing those changes.

One possible idea I have is writing a code that merges the changes when Excel fails to do so, and saving them manually instead of autosave. Maybe using BeforeRemoteChange or AfterRemoteChange?
Is that something that is possible? I have not found anything indicating that but it's the only idea I have.

Have any of you had that problem and managed to solve it?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Reason for this seems to be due to the table is ordered a column in ascending order after adding information to a table

Upvote 0
Interesting. I can't offer a resolution, but thought I'd chime in to the discussion because I have a related issue.

I can see why the second user gets the message as the file has changed. I've just started playing with co-authoring myself and have posted a query on the forum. In a simple test I shared a workbook on one drive and, with it open on two machines watched as I changed values on one, the values appeared almost immediately on the other. However, I need the other machine to update some public variables as the data is modified (e.g. last row of data, last value of data). My application also primarily runs from a userform and the users never manually change any of the worksheets. This userform has a listbox and label fields that are based on the data workbook and those public varilables. So, I also need to unload the userform (if it's active) update everything and reload it - my current code in AfterRemoteChange seems to do this ok - when it works. On my simple test workbook, I created a Workbook_AfterRemoteChange routine in the ThisWorkbook module that simply shows a msgbox - "Something changed", and low and behold whenever I enter a cell value on one machine the other machine presents the message - as I would have expected.

But a similar use of AfterRemoteChange in my actual workbook doesn't work until I force a save or activate the workbook. My complication is that the data changes are made in by macros in one workbook (also shared for co-authoring) that write to an invisible data workbook (also shared). Interestingly to get those macros to work properly I have to make the data workbook temporarily visible and unminimized, write the changed and the minimize the data workbook and make it invisible again. However those changes don't merge, triggering the AfterRemoteChange on the other machine, until I save the workbook or manually make it visible and activated again. I also get messages from time to time telling me the changes cannot be uploaded, prompting me to save a copy or discard my changes. I'm sharing on OneDrive. So it's all a bit weird. It wouldn't be unthinkable that co-authoring may be a bit buggy (undocumented features) and that I may have find some workaround.

As a note, the user only launches the main, application workbook and the data workbook is opened with a Workbook.Open statement, which could also be the root of my problem and errors. Perhaps I need to open the data workbook with other parameters. I don't know at this stage.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noithatanthien

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back