Problems with MS tables and Security

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have having problems with setting up security, particularly involving the system tables (FYI, I am using Access 2002).

I followed the steps set-up a user account for myself and make myself the administrator. I then set up two groups, Entry and View. As it implies, users in the Entry group have the ability to update data, but do not have the ability to modify the database design. Users in the View group only have read-only access to the database.

When I was giving permissions to the Entry group, it wouldn't let me give the group any rights to the system tables (MSys...). Thinking that it might not be necessary, I gave them rights to all the other tables and just skipped over the MSys... tables.

When I was testing the security for the Entry group, I tried running a procedure I wrote that creates new billing records. I got an error "3033", saying they do not have rights to the MSysTables object, so I was unable to add new records.

I logged out of the database and logged back in as me (the Administrator). I tried again to give the Entry group rights to the MSys... tables, but it told me that I can't change permissions, check with the Administrator. But that's me! What's going on here? I seem to be caught in a vicious Catch-22!

Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi

I have just come across the same problem and can not find a solution. I even tried to reload access but it is still there.

Can anybody help????

Upvote 0
Many thanks

but unfortunally I have not back my database - looks like I will have to start from stratch - there might be a lession there somewhere!

Cheers

Upvote 0
I didn't back it up either, but I was able to get rid of all the security features. If you can hold on for a little bit, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Upvote 0
OK, I found the directions. Here they are:

1. Stay joined to the secured mdw file for a bit longer. Log in with your name and password (as a member of the Admins group).
2. Assign the Admin user as the owner of all the objects again (in the Security, Users and Group Permissions dialog box on the Owner tab).
3. Then join the database back to original System.mdw.
4. Log into your database as Admin.
5. Make a new blank database while joined to the original System.mdw and import all the objects (so the Admins group associated with the original System.mdw is now THE Admins group that has authority over your new database and new copies of all the objects).
6. While joined to the original System.mdw, put the Admin user back in the Admins group and clear the password for the Admin user (both deeds can be done in the Security, Users and Group Accounts dialog box). Clearing the password gets rid of the prompt for username/pswd.

Hope this works for you too!

P.S. I did not back up the "System.mdw" file, so I had to go to another computer and copy it to mine to get the original "System.mdw" file they talk about.

Upvote 0
I want to get rid of the security I set up for access and revert to the original system.mdw. I think this is what you are describing above but what do you mean by "Then join the database back to original System.mdw"? How does one do this?

Thanks,

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tdeulkar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back