Problems using NOT IN with sum function in MS Query

jack10063

Board Regular
Hi All,

I am trying to combine sum function and NOT IN logical operator in MS Query SQL but it's not working and I am getting an error "Invalid field definition '000' in definition of index or relationship".

Below is my code:

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>

Code:
SELECT A.`BOND ISIN CODE`, A.`BOND TYPE`, A.`MATURITY DATE`, SUM(A.TOTAL) AS [TOTAL], B.PV, B.`BOND ISIN CODE`, B.TOTAL<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
FROM BondIsin.txt A, BondIsinAcu.txt B<o:p></o:p>
WHERE A.`BOND ISIN CODE` = B.`BOND ISIN CODE` AND A.`BOND ISIN CODE` NOT IN ('XSDE0002449139')<o:p></o:p>
GROUP BY A.`BOND ISIN CODE`, A.`BOND TYPE`, A.`MATURITY DATE`, B.PV, B.`BOND ISIN CODE`, B.TOTAL<o:p></o:p>

The problem is the aggregate function Sum. Below is a code without summing and GROUP BY statement that doesn't give an error:

Code:
SELECT A.`BOND ISIN CODE`, A.`BOND TYPE`, A.`MATURITY DATE`, A.TOTAL, B.PV, B.`BOND ISIN CODE`, B.TOTAL<o:p></o:p>
FROM BondIsin.txt A, BondIsinAcu.txt B<o:p></o:p>
WHERE A.`BOND ISIN CODE` = B.`BOND ISIN CODE` AND A.`BOND ISIN CODE` NOT IN ('XSDE0002449139')<o:p></o:p>

So the question is: Which statement can I combine with aggregate functions to filter the data..? I tried to use CASE statement but couldn't get it to work either.. Thanks for any help!

-Jack

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
The problem is you can't use your ALIAS in the GROUP BY. So you need the original:

Rich (BB code):
SELECT A.`BOND ISIN CODE`, A.`BOND TYPE`, A.`MATURITY DATE`, SUM(A.TOTAL) AS [TOTAL], B.PV, B.`BOND ISIN CODE`, B.TOTAL
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
FROM BondIsin.txt A, BondIsinAcu.txt B
WHERE A.`BOND ISIN CODE` = B.`BOND ISIN CODE` AND A.`BOND ISIN CODE` NOT IN ('XSDE0002449139')
GROUP BY A.`BOND ISIN CODE`, A.`BOND TYPE`, A.`MATURITY DATE`, SUM(A.TOTAL), B.`BOND ISIN CODE`, B.TOTAL

Upvote 0
Thanks for your answer. I tried to use SUM(A.TOTAL) in GROUP BY statement but I am getting an error "Cannot have aggregate function in GROUP BY clause (SUM(A.TOTAL))"...

Thanks for any ideas!

-Jack

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need Sum() in the group by anyway - its only the other fields that need to be in that clause (the ones without Sum, Count, Avg, Max, Min, etc.)

Upvote 0
xenou,

Thanks for your answer. I understood that I shouldn't use SUM() in GROUP BY.. Do you have any ideas how to solve my problem..?

Thanks!

-Jack

Upvote 0
Hmmm, Sorry getting confused by all the examples and counter examples.

Have you tried Bob's suggestion?

Upvote 0
I tried Bob's solution but I couldn't get it to work.. The problem was that I am joining two tables with LEFT JOIN and in the "left" table I have the same bond multiple times and in the "right table" I have the bond only once with values summed. Thus, I have to sum the deals with same code in the "left" table to compare them with the "right" one.

It is working okay if I don't wan't to exclude any deals.. But I would like to use NOT IN to exclude a few bonds.. but I am not able to get it working because I am using SUM() in the "left" table (no problems if I wouldn't have to sum the deals)..

For some reason I am not able to find a solution.. Sorry if I am being confusing.. :)

-Jack

Upvote 0
Can't stop right now but a nested query structure might work.

Or, you can also query for the values excluding the bonds you don't want in a separate query, and then join to that query (being one without those bonds).

Upvote 0
Use a subquery to sum the side which needs summing and then use that in place of the table in the main query.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the ideas. I am trying to use a subquery to sum the values in the left table. However I am still struggling a bit:

With a code below I am able to use NOT IN:

Code:
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]SELECT A.`BOND ISIN CODE`, A.TOTAL, D.TOTAL[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]FROM BondIsin.txt A, (SELECT  B.`BOND ISIN CODE`, SUM(B.TOTAL) AS [TOTAL] FROM  BondIsin.txt B GROUP BY  B.`BOND ISIN CODE`) C, BondIsinAcu.txt D WHERE A.`BOND ISIN CODE`=C.`BOND ISIN CODE`   AND A.`BOND ISIN CODE`=D.`BOND ISIN CODE` AND A.`BOND ISIN CODE` NOT IN ('BE6000075430')[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/FONT]

But it doesn't sum the values with the same code. Even though I defined a subquery
Code:
(SELECT  B.`BOND ISIN CODE`, SUM(B.TOTAL) AS [TOTAL] FROM  BondIsin.txt B GROUP BY  B.`BOND ISIN CODE`) C

To sum the values in TOTAL

And then using A.`BOND ISIN CODE`=C.`BOND ISIN CODE` to match the deals with the main table, A, and subtable C...

any ideas what I have done wrong in my subquery.. I guess I have to keep on trying... .:) Thanks for help! :)

-Jack

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back