Problem with SELECT DISTINCT - still returns duplicates

Ben2k

Board Regular
I have the following SQL statement

SELECT DISTINCT CARS.[Stock Number], CARS.Make, CARS.Model, CARS.Registration, CARS.ReCon1, CARS.[RC Cost1], CARS.ReCon2, CARS.[RC Cost2], CARS.ReCon3, CARS.[RC Cost3], CARS.ReCon4, CARS.[RC Cost4], CARS.ReCon5, CARS.[RC Cost5], CARS.ReCon6, CARS.[RC Cost6], CINVOICE.Date, [rc cost1]+[rc cost2]+[rc cost3]+[rc cost4]+[rc cost5]+[rc cost6] AS Expr1
FROM CARS INNER JOIN CINVOICE ON CARS.[Stock Number]=CINVOICE.[Stock Number]
WHERE (((CINVOICE.Date) Between Forms!Form2!start And forms!form2!end) And ((CARS.Status)="sold"));

I added the DISTINCT keyword myself however the query still returns duplicates, do I need to add it anywhere else? I want only one of any Stock Number in my query.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
The problem is that DISTINCT selects distinct combination of every field in your select clause, not just the Stock Number.

Something like:
SELECT DISTINCT CARS.[Stock Number]
FROM...
WHERE...

would return distinct Stock Numbers only (if Stock Number was the ONLY field in you select statement).

The expression:

SELECT DISTINCT CARS.[Stock Number], CARS.Make, CARS.Model, CARS.Registration, CARS.ReCon1, CARS.[RC Cost1], CARS.ReCon2, CARS.[RC Cost2], CARS.ReCon3, CARS.[RC Cost3], CARS.ReCon4, CARS.[RC Cost4], CARS.ReCon5, CARS.[RC Cost5], CARS.ReCon6, CARS.[RC Cost6], CINVOICE.Date, [rc cost1]+[rc cost2]+[rc cost3]+[rc cost4]+[rc cost5]+[rc cost6] AS Expr1

selects distinct combinations of all the fields you have listed above in the Select statement.

Upvote 0
Without really knowing what you are trying to accomplish, I would say you might have to break it up into a few queries. First, create a query that does your SELECT DISTINCT on the Stock Number field. Then use that query in another query to add back in the other fields. You may need to use Grouping (click on the Totals icon in your query) to select the First, Last, Sum, or whatever to ensure that you still only end up with one record per Stock Number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyedye4

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back