Problem with GROUPBY and memos

ColinSully

Board Regular
Hi, I am new to working with Access and am working with a database that has already been created.

One fo the modifications I need to make is to change the data type of a comments field from text to memo.

I have succeeded in doing this, however, I get an error when I try to run one of my queries. It appears that Access "can't group on memo" I tried modifying the GROUPBY attribute in SQL but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing.

The SQL currently reads:

SELECT MAX(MaxComments.DateReference) AS MaxDate, SubNotNullComments.DateReference, SubNotNullComments.Comments, MaxComments.ProjectID

FROM SubNotNullComments INNER JOIN SubNotNullComments AS MaxComments ON MaxComments.ProjectID = SubNotNullComments.projectID

GROUP BY MaxComments.ProjectID, SubNotNullComments.DateReference, SubNotNullComments.Comments

HAVING ((Max(MaxComments.DateReference))=[SubNotNullComments]![DateReference]);

I have bolded the 2 occurences of the comments field that I changed to memo if that helps.

Any ideas on how I might be able to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Colin

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Do you really need to change the data type?

If the data you want to store there is >255 characters you might want to consider a seperate table for comments where each Project can have multiple comments.

Upvote 0
I do need to have >255 characters for each comment.

As for the seperate table, I don't know how that would solve my problem as I still need to get the comments onto the querie.

Upvote 0
I dont think that you can group by Memos, I seem to recal a problem as well with sorting on memo fields which can truncate the data back to 255 characters when you try.
The problem is to do with the fact that Memos can hold litraly thousands of chracters and you would have to compare each one in each record, lots of work!

Peter

Upvote 0
Because at times people may want to enter comments in that are bigger than 255 characters.

I don't even want this thing sorted or grouped by the memo field. I am just looking for a way to remove it from the grouping but still be able to see the memo when I print the query/report.

Upvote 0
I am not quite sure what you are doing here, if you use grouping in a query the each field shown either has to be used to group by, or some sort of calculation needs to be preformed upon it.

Are you sure that you need to use grouping at all? if you want each memo field to be seen, then each record must be available, so no grouping is needed in the query.

You can use "Sorting and Grouping" in the report itself to control how things will be oredered and displayed.

Peter

Upvote 0
No I didn't need to use grouping. I think I figured it out.

As I said I am new to Access and am working with a database that was already set up. The records in question didn't need to be grouped.

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back