Problem opening database window in Access2003

RogerC

I am administrator of a database that was originally created by someone else in Access97. It opens to a form. The F11 key will not show the database window because the 'Use Access Special Keys' is disabled in Tools, Startup (to prevent users from opening the database window). This was not a problem in Access97 because holding down the shift key while opening the database caused it to open to the database window, not the form. The problem is, now that I have converted the database to Access2003, holding the shift-key down does not open the database to the database window. In other words, I have no way of opening the database window now. (I do have a copy of the 97 version). Does anyone know why the shift-key technique doesn't work in my Access2003 version of the database?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
The shift key can be disabled in 2003. Sounds like its locked up good and propper,

In this case I'd open a new database and import all your old database into it

Upvote 0
Thanks you lovemuscle2005. I will do as you suggest. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'can be disabled'. Are you saying that it is always disabled in 2003, or I have done something to disable it? Can it be enabled?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to enable the shift key so that the database window will open upon opening the file?

Upvote 0
Using VBA from an other program, you can change the Allowbypasskey database property to true.

dim db as dao.database
set db = "path of the files"
db.properties("allowbypasskey") = true

good luck

Upvote 0
thanks cstlaurent, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'using VBA from another program'. Can you explain this please?

Upvote 0
Have you considered removing the startup item in the original 97 version and re-converting the database? Is this possible?
My 2c
Andrew :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back