Prevent existing records from being changed

doctor_robert

I have created a Database for daily call counts per specific employees. I have 2 Tables, Employee Names and Calls.

I created a form with a subform to enter the information. The form Contains a Date Field and the Subform Contains Employee Name, Total Calls, and Hours Worked. We are using hand written stats going back approx 4 months to start off the database and then will be entering data on a daily basis.

My question is this, When I open my form it defaults to the first record thereby allowing someone to change the date listed and enter new information for that date, the problem is that overwrites the information already created. IE: Record # 1 was say date 03-03-03 with so many calls per person, if the user does not click the default create new record button first, they can overwrite the information for that day. Or if they type the wrong date they can overwrite for that incorectly enterd date.

How do i get the form to open to a new record and prevent the changing of an already existing record? I appreciate any help as I'm new to access and also posting to msg boards. I would gladly provide more information needed to solve the problem.

Thanks

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
You can change the form's DataEntry property to Yes. This will open the form with a blank record. But I'm wondering why you have a form with Date, and a subform for the rest...what is linking the subform to the form?

-rh

Upvote 0
The reason I did it that way was so I don't have to type the date each time I enter data for a single day. There are about 20 people that work each day so that meant typing the date 20 times per day,

I have many to one relationship linking TABLE BOOKERS, Booker ID to TABLE CALLS, Booker ID

My Tables Are as follows:

BOOKERS
Booker ID(Primary Key)
Last Name
First Name

CALLS
CAll ID
Booker ID
Date
Total Calls
Hours Worked

Upvote 0
Have you tried setting the default value of the Date field (or the textbox that uses the date field) to:
  • =Date()
? I still don't understand using a subform for the purpose of not typing in a date...

Anyhoo, hope this helps,

Russell

Upvote 0
It's not for not typing it in it's for having to only type it once per 20 or so new records.

Basically what I'm asking is how do i lock an existing record. Right now when I open the form it defaults to the first record in the Db. If someone types a date in the date field it then changes the date on the existing record. What I would prefer is when I open the form to have it open to a blank new record.

Upvote 0
See my first message: "You can change the form's DataEntry property to Yes."

Hope this helps,

Russell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NghiVmexgdhh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back