PowerPivot: divide one column by another

lofty147

How do I show percentages in a powerpivot pivot table so that at parent levels of rows, it shows the correct percentages rather than summing up

• In a powerpivot pivottable the 'calculated field' option is greyed out - so I cannot use this to divide column A by column B.
  • I could use a DAX formula in the powerpivot window to divide column A by B. The problem is, my data is on a very low level, so when viewing the pivot table in excel - it sums up all the percentages at a higher level (parent level).
  • E.g. local level shows accurate 5% profit, but the region sums up all the percentages to show 80%, and the country sums up all regions to show 400%
  • I don't think 'measure' will work either.

Sorry if I'm not being clear, can provide further info if needed. Does anybody have a solution?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Use the Query Editor. Choose Add Column, select the columns in the correct order, choose "Standard" - "Divide" and you get a new column in which the values in the first selected column will be divided by the values in te second selected column.

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply. Do you mean to use the power query tab?

Would you be able to provide further steps as I have not used this before....

Upvote 0
All my data is in access, as I am using that as the database to read into powerpivot - so i cannot use powerquery over powerpivot.

The solution would be to use the 'calculated field' option in the pivottable, but you cannot use this in a powerpivot table

Upvote 0
There must be some query that imports the data from Access. So you are not using Power Query over Power Pivot, but Power Pivot over Power Query.

Upvote 0
Apologies. It looks like you can import Access data directly into your datamodel, bypassing Power Query. I don't know if you can still redirect the connection via Power Query.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewExcelUser101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back