Power Query to Merge and Fill in gaps in data

phbryan

Hello,

I have monthly sales data by item for 12 months. Some items do not have any sales data in every month. My raw data source omits these months and skips over them. However, I need to show these months/item as ZERO for that month.
Some conditions that are always true:

1. For any month in the 12 months, there will always be some items sold (no month will be zero across the board).
2. Each item should have a data point for each of the 12 months (some months will have to be filled in at zero).

I have attached some screenshots of my saw data and desired output. The rows in yellow would be created by power query.

My initial thoughts would be to create two new tables and combine. First table being the list of months and the second being the list of items and create a merged table of months and items to then lookup the quantities in the original dataset, returning zero if no quantity exists. Just not sure now to go about it.

Attachments

• Output.png
    Output.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Input.png
    Input.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Without knowing how you originally got the input data, I am assuming you have the last month of actuals and then the previous 12 months. You can create this separate table that has End of Month and Item columns:

Power Query:
let
    Dates = List.Generate(
  () =>     Date.AddMonths(Date.StartOfMonth(DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())),-12), // Starting value
  each _ <= Date.AddDays(Date.StartOfMonth(DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())),-1), // Last Month of Actuals
  each Date.AddMonths( _, 1 ) // Take steps of 1 month
),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Dates, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Inserted End of Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to Table", "End of Month", each Date.EndOfMonth([Column1]), type date),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted End of Month",{"Column1"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", each {"A","B","C"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", Order.Ascending}, {"End of Month", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{{"End of Month", "Month Ending"}, {"Custom", "Item"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

and then you can join this table with your other table and replace the null values with 0

Upvote 0
@phbryan: you need just one more table with blank sales but with all dates and items. Then combine it with your Input table and group by date and item name.
Power Query:
    // create a table with all combinations of dates and items
    all_blank_sales = Table.FromList(
        List.Distinct(Input[Month Ending]), 
        (x) => {x} & {List.Distinct(Input[Item])}, 
        Value.Type(Input)
    ),
    // expand column with items and combine it with Input table
    combine_sales = Table.ExpandListColumn(all_blank_sales, "Item") & Input, 
    // group by date and item name to get total sales
    group = Table.Group(
        combine_sales, 
        {"Month Ending", "Item"}, 
        {"Sum of Quantity", (x) => List.Sum(x[Sum of Quantity])}
    )

Upvote 0
Without knowing how you originally got the input data, I am assuming you have the last month of actuals and then the previous 12 months. You can create this separate table that has End of Month and Item columns:

Power Query:
let
    Dates = List.Generate(
  () =>     Date.AddMonths(Date.StartOfMonth(DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())),-12), // Starting value
  each _ <= Date.AddDays(Date.StartOfMonth(DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())),-1), // Last Month of Actuals
  each Date.AddMonths( _, 1 ) // Take steps of 1 month
),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Dates, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Inserted End of Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to Table", "End of Month", each Date.EndOfMonth([Column1]), type date),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted End of Month",{"Column1"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", each {"A","B","C"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", Order.Ascending}, {"End of Month", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{{"End of Month", "Month Ending"}, {"Custom", "Item"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

and then you can join this table with your other table and replace the null values with 0
Hi ExcelToDax,

I am able make your solution work for my example, but I am having trouble implementing. See comments Below:
Power Query:
Date.AddMonths(Date.StartOfMonth(DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())),-12), // Starting value
- Can this be dynamic based on the months present? (6 months, 12 months, 24 months, etc)

Power Query:
- Can this be dynamic? my list can be thousands of different items, with some dropping off/new items as I add new sales data.

Upvote 0
@phbryan: you need just one more table with blank sales but with all dates and items. Then combine it with your Input table and group by date and item name.
Power Query:
        Value.Type(Input)
    ),
    group = Table.Group(
        combine_sales,
    )
Hi AlienSx,

I've gotten this far with your code. I=My actual sheet has 24 months:
Power Query:
let
    #"Sales_Data (2)" = let
        Value.Type(Input)
    ),
    group = Table.Group(
        combine_sales, 
    )
in
all_blank_sales
in
    #"Sales_Data (2)"

1725979572363.png

Not sure how to proceed.

Upvote 0
@phbryan
A reminder:

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:

There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Power Query:
let
        Value.Type(Input)
    ),
    group = Table.Group(
        combine_sales,
    )
in
  group
simply copy and paste this code into blank query. Don't add anything - neither additional "let ... in" nor #"Sales_Data (2)" .

Upvote 0
an attempt.

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    cols = Table.ColumnNames(Source),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{cols{0}, type date}}),
    Dates = let x = let x = Table.Column(#"Changed Type", cols{0}) in {List.First(x), List.Last(x)} 
            in List.Distinct(List.Transform(List.Dates(x{0}, Duration.Days(x{1}-x{0}),#duration(1,0,0,0)), Date.EndOfMonth)),
    Rec = let x = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", cols{1}, {{"Rec", 
              each let x= Table.ToColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table.RemoveColumns(_, cols{1}), {{cols{0}, type text}, {cols{2}, type text}})) 
                   in  Record.FromList(x{1},x{0})}}) 
          in Table.AddColumn(x, "x", 
              each let y = [Rec] 
                   in Table.RenameColumns(Table.AddColumn(Table.FromColumns({Dates}), cols{2}, 
                       each Record.FieldOrDefault(y, Text.From ([Column1]),0)), {{"Column1", cols{0} }})),
    Result = Table.SelectColumns(Table.ExpandTableColumn(Rec, "x", List.RemoveItems(cols,{cols{1}})), cols)
in
    Result

Regards,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back