Power BI: Include Total Average on the chart.

alfranco17

Board Regular
Hi.

I have to chart the results of a poll. The poll groups questions by categories. For instance: the Dessert category includes Ice Cream, and the Flavors question includes Vanilla, Chocolate and so on.

I need to include the total average for the category in the chart. This is an example (the example comes from Excel, because there I can copy the pivot table as links and then chart it). Is it possible to get this with Power BI?

ChartTotalAverage.png

This is the data I used.

Name Dessert Flavor Rating
Patricia Ice cream Vanilla 1
Robert Ice cream Vanilla 4
Richard Ice cream Vanilla 4
Karen Ice cream Vanilla 3
William Ice cream Vanilla 3
Daniel Ice cream Vanilla 3
Jessica Ice cream Vanilla 1
Patricia Ice cream Cookies and cream 1
Robert Ice cream Cookies and cream 3
Richard Ice cream Cookies and cream 2
Karen Ice cream Cookies and cream 4
William Ice cream Cookies and cream 5
Daniel Ice cream Cookies and cream 5
Jessica Ice cream Cookies and cream 3
Patricia Ice cream Chocolate 5
Robert Ice cream Chocolate 4
Richard Ice cream Chocolate 3
Karen Ice cream Chocolate 3
William Ice cream Chocolate 1
Daniel Ice cream Chocolate 4
Jessica Ice cream Chocolate 3

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks!
Armando

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I’m sure it can be done, but it may take some setup. As an alternative, Howe about you do a column/line combo chart, and put the category total as a line? Would that work? You would need a measure that returns the category total. The formula depends on your data model, but something like =calculate([average measure],all(table[flavour]))

Upvote 0
Thanks, Matt.

I tried out your suggestion. When I saw it,I thought: "That line is not what I need. I need to append that measure at the bottom...". And then, your "it may take some setup"...

And then it hit me. I could use Power Query to pivot two tables:
* one for totals by dessert, year and flavor (yes, there's also a year involved),
* another by dessert and year.

Then create an append query, and use that table in the data model.

This is the result:

TotalinBI.PNG

I think it is a lot of work, though, and hope there is another way to do it.

Upvote 0
The tools are not really designed for the scenario you describe. I understand what you want, and even why (although I still think the line is good - JMO), but the tools don't really work that way. Either you need the "Total" data as a dimension (like you have done with Power Query) or you need to hard code measures for every item in the list. I can imagine you may be able to hack a solution by creating another dimension table with phantom total lines. I have it in my head and can't really explain it. But if you are interested in where I am going with this you could watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojHZkWkEY7Q It is not the same thing, but I am thinking the concept could be modified to handle your use case. Let me know if you think this is interesting. No promises, but if it is really important I may take a look (if and when I get time), and then write a blog

Upvote 0
Thanks! I am watching the video right now. There's no hurry, I'd love to read it if you write it.

Best regards.
Armando.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattyM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back