Possible PT Crunching 2010 errata: Custom PT Styles

Jerry Sullivan

MrExcel MVP
I don't think that the statement below is correct in that custom styles to not appear to be saved in the gallery for use in other workbooks.

[I believe this is page 60 of paper editions]
"Customizing a Style You can create your own pivot table styles. The new styles are added to the gallery, which means they are available on every new pivot table created on your computer."

Jelen, Bill; Alexander, Michael (2010-10-20). Pivot Table Data Crunching: Microsoft Excel 2010 (MrExcel Library) (Kindle Locations 1301-1302). Pearson Education (US). Kindle Edition.

Normally I'd assume that I'm just doing this wrong, but Contextures site offers a workaround to copy PivotTable styles to other workbooks, which makes me think this doesn't happen automatically.

http://www.contextures.com/excel-pivot-table-format.html#file

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Hi Jerry

You are right - I got that one completely wrong. You wonder what is the point of letting you declare your new style to be the default, when they are not saving those.

Great timing on the bug... Mike Alexander and I spoke on the phone today about beginning a rewrite of the book for Excel 2013. I will file the errata report on this issue for the 2010 (and presumably 2007) editions.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I appreciate your response.

Yes, it's surprising that custom styles aren't more easily shared. The PivotTable Style "Gallery" concept seems to have been implemented as a series of private galleries. Perhaps in a future version. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back