MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
This has been an ongoing issue here for about the last year and a half or so. A NASCAR-type track has been proposed for my neck of the woods here in Boardman Oregon. We're a small town, approx. 3500+, not very large. We are mostly a rural farming community.

All of the county and state permits were obtained last year, but while that was in the process, apparently some of the big money backed out. So the story is that some new investors were found and this project is moving forward.

Needless to say this would be a huge impact on all surrounding areas. The green/red light is supposed to be given in the next month or two. I think it will be quite interesting if this goes in here. Maybe I could convince my brother to move back from NY (him and his wife are big NASCAR fans). :lol:

Just thought I'd share with everybody.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
How do you feel about the possibility of a NASCAR track being built in your area?? And how does the rest of the town feel?? Have there been any town meetings re: it's impact?

-Ken

Oh loads, yes. Many, many meetings. It would greatly impact the area. We would have an enormous expansion of industry/business, and tax base. I personally think it would be a good thing for us and the surrounding communities. Most others that I know share the same opinion, although there are a very small number of people who oppose it. In fact, they held it up in county courts a year ago or so. I believe their complaint was transportation/noise issues.

I'm a skeptic at heart, so I'll believe it when I see it. If it does, I see a lot of opportunity though.

What would be the frequencey of races? Would it be an annual event? If so that would be great - almost like a festival / celebration of racing. Or would there be other regular events not affiliated with NASCAR? If so, then you can't avoid the noise and other social issues, especially if there are club meetings or practice sessions etc. every other weekend.

Just food for thought from a motor-racing fan....

Andrew

There would be events practically year-round. Most of the tracks around the US keep quite busy throughout the year.

Most of the tracks around the US keep quite busy throughout the year.

And they all need an experienced EMT/firefytr in the infield. ;)

Smitty

If I was any investor I would be very reluctant to be throwing my money out there under the premise that this was going to be a "NASCAR" track. NASCAR already has a full schedule. They just repositioned races this last year. Some tracks gained, some lost. There are no open dates on the schedule. The only way NASCAR could have a race at another track is fill a scheduled off date or add a date on the end or beginning of the season. I don't see either of those happening. The drivers and teams wouldn't tolerate that, the season is long enough as it is.

Let me reiterate for those who prefer strict technicality: it would NOT be a NASCAR track. It would be a regular speedway and they would have the intent on building a great track for a possible NASCAR contract some years down the road.

I termed it that way specifically as most people would not understand the levity of just "a race track". But thanks for the clarification. :)

I'm sure it would be a cool spot for a race track. They might have a legitimate shot at getting some high quality races. GTOs, GTUs maybe some Toyota Atlantics. Who knows, NASCAR might see fit to try it out with the Truck series. Many tracks have tried and failed on that "We're building a track for you" business though. See Heartland Park Raceway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prakash K

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back