Positioning Multiple Charts on a WorkSheet by cell position rather than pixels

frank_AL

I have code that creates multiple charts on a single worksheet. The number of charts varies based upon filter criteria applied by the user. I added code to apply page breaks and it works fine on my PC and with my printer. However, when testing the code last week at the customer's premise, I encountered problems with the page breaks due to different printer type. The code will be used by about 30 Account Managers and they will have many different printer types.

I am trying to adjust the chart size and location based upon cell values once the charts have been created.
I am trying to use variables for the chart object, the worksheet and the cells to manage the fact the number of charts varies.
Here is the code I am attempting to use. I found the basics for this code in another MrExcel post and tried to modify it to use multiple variables.
I realize (being a relative VBA novice that I could possibly accomplish when the charts are created using .Location but I am not familiar with how to use that feature.

' Adjust Chart Position by Row rather that Pixel to support accurate Page Breaks
Dim x As Long
Dim ChtObj As ChartObject
Dim ChartSheet As Worksheet
Sheets("Summary Charts").Select
Set ChartSheet = ActiveSheet
TopPos = 6

For Each ChtObj In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
BottomPos = TopPos + 19
With ChtObj.Chart
.Shapes(ChtObj).Left = ChartSheet.Cells(TopPos, 1).Left
.Shapes(ChtObj).Top = ChartSheet.Cells(TopPos, 1).Top
.Shapes(ChtObj).Height = ChartSheet.Range("I" & TopPos & ":I" & BottomPos).Height
.Shapes(ChtObj).Width = ChartSheet.Range("A" & TopPos & ":I" & BottomPos).Width
End With
Next ChtObj

I get a "Runtime Error 5, Invalid call or procedure on the first .Shapes line.......
.Shapes(ChtObj).Left = ChartSheet.Cells(TopPos, 1).Left

Once this portion of the code works properly, I will add code to enter Page Breaks every x number of Rows
Can anyone help me to get this working properly?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi
Welcome to the board

Can you explain where you want the charts to be located?

From your code I see that the first chart has TopPos=6. What about the second chart? and the next ones?

Upvote 0
Hi
Welcome to the board

Can you explain where you want the charts to be located?

From your code I see that the first chart has TopPos=6. What about the second chart? and the next ones?

Thanks for checking in and offering to help. I think I have figured it out now. I start with the first chart at Row 6 since I have rows 1-5 defined as Print Title. I want the Charts to be 20 rows in Height.

Here is the code I just finished that appears to be working properly. My issue is that I needed to define a variable as the ChartObject.Name to use in the following lines of code. All that is left for me to do now is define a variable to determine the bottom right cell value for the print range.

Let me know if you see any issues, but first time through this code gave me what I was expecting.

Dim ChtObj As ChartObject
Dim ChartSheet As Worksheet
Sheets("Summary Charts").Select
Set ChartSheet = ActiveSheet
' Set ChtObj = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
TopPos = 6

For Each ChtObj In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
BottomPos = TopPos + 19
ChartName = ChtObj.Name
ActiveSheet.Shapes(ChartName).Left = Sheet6.Cells(TopPos, 1).Left
ActiveSheet.Shapes(ChartName).Top = Sheet6.Cells(TopPos, 1).Top
ActiveSheet.Shapes(ChartName).Height = Sheet6.Range("A" & TopPos & ":A" & BottomPos).Height
ActiveSheet.Shapes(ChartName).Width = Sheet6.Range("A6:I6").Width
TopPos = TopPos + 21
Next ChtObj

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FengXue

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back